Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 430 pages
Published March 10th 2015 by Crown
Source: Review Copy thanks to Penguin Random House Canada


A very readable narrative on the sinking of the Lusitania but more importantly on the days leading up to it and how the US became involved in WWI. I knew nothing about this topic more than the basic knowledge any average reader would have and found it an entirely intriguing history and study of the cold-blooded callousness that exists during war. However, it certainly wasn't a page turner. My interest in history has always been at a social level and this book is more about an event, politics and the military than people so while I didn't find it hard to read, I also didn't find it hard to put down either. Once the book got to talking about the passengers my interest was more keen and I certainly read the second half of the book faster than the first. I'm glad to have read it, but not a page-turner for me.




Comments

Popular Posts