Mid-Year Favourites Jan-Jun 2014: Short Story Collections & Misc

Now that we are in the middle of the year I thought I'd gather together my favourites so far for the year from Jan to June 2014.  Since I read soooo many books I've divided them up into categories and am keeping track of them that way.  So far I've done 

Nonfiction (Adult/Juvenile)
Fiction (Adult/YA)
Juvenile Novels
Picture Books & Easy Readers

Today I finish off with my last category which is Short Story Collections.  I read one short story every day.  Sometimes a short story is not so short and it will take me two days and there are a few days here and there when life interrupts and I don't read a storyat all, but I am pretty consistent.  I've been doing this since 2009 off and on but it became a regular thing in 2011 and now it's just habit.

It's pretty much impossible to give a (5/5) to a collection of short stories because invariably there is going to be a dud or two amongst the gems of even the best collections.  I prefer to read books which collect stories by one author which I call "collections" as they give a sense of the author but it is always fun to read a collection of stories that share a theme, I call these "anthologies".

I've read 6 collections of short stories so far this year from Jan-Jun, 2014.  Four of them are collections of one author, the other two anthologies containing various authors based on a theme.  Since there are no full (5/5) rated books in this list.  I will give you my top two favourites which both achieved a (4/5).  These both happen to be collections of one particular author each.


Short Story Collections

1.Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock (4/5)
2. The Birds: and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier (4/5)



And that is it for my best of lists for this half of 2014. I do have two remaining "odd" categories left.

Single Short Stories - I only read one and I rated it very badly, so not a best.
Poetry - Again I only read one so it can hardly be the best of anything. But here's the link anyway
1. Flower Fairies of the Garden by Cicely Mary Barker (5/5)

Comments

Popular Posts