Danny and the Dinosaur


Danny and the Dinosaur by Syd Hoff

Pages: 64 pgs.
Ages: 5+
First Published: 1958
Genre: easy reader
Rating: 4/5

First sentence:

One day Danny went to the museum.


Reason for Reading: my son read aloud to me.

Acquired: We own this copy.

Comments: Danny visits the museum and when he gets to the dinosaur display a real dinosaur pops out and asks Danny to play with him. So off they go through the town having lots of fun ending up playing hide 'n' seek with the neighbourhood children but as sunset comes along everyone must go home including the dinosaur who must get back to the museum. This is one of the original "I Can Read" books that has stood the test of time. What little boy doesn't go through the dinosaur stage? This silly story is a load of fun and can be enjoyed by any age. Syd Hoff was one of the great children's author/illustrators and his works will never go out of print. Some of the PC persuasion may find the display of the "Indian" and "Eskimo" offensive, but the rest of us will enjoy a good old-fashioned timeless classic. One word of note though, buy yourself an old secondhand copy if possible. The new reprints have been recolourized with dark full-colour illustrations rather than the light pencil crayon effect of the originals.

Comments

  1. I adored "Danny and the Dinosaur" when I was a kid. We had a whole bunch of the I Can Read books. This one was one of my favourites.

    Thanks for posting this and reminding me of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the I Can Reads too. It'll be a long while yet but I'm going to save all mine for the grandkiddies, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Received this email ...

    Danny and the Dinosuar celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2008 with over 10 million copies sold worldwide since 1958. I've created www.SydHoff.org as a way to honor and preserve the rich and creative legacy of my beloved uncle. There are articles, stories, complete book list, photos and even a "how to cartoon" section for children. Enjoy!... Carol, Syd's niece

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts