110. Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind

Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross
First Miss Julia book


Pages: 273
Finished: June 18, 2008
First Published: 1999
Genre: southern fiction
Rating: 3.5/5

Reason for Reading: southern fiction challenge.

First sentence:

I'd just caught my breath after the shock of my husband's sudden passing
when his last legacy showed up on my front porch.


Comments: Miss Julia's husband of forty-odd years has passed away and she learning to cope with her new life. As a married woman she was under her husband's control and is now starting to spread her wings and gain independence. Though Miss Julia is newly learning to look after herself she is no wallflower. She has a fiery spirit and says exactly what she thinks to whomever she likes, whether it be her pastor or a lazy secretary. One day she opens her front door to have her husband's mistress thrust her son upon her to look after. Unaware her husband was even unfaithful she quickly learns she's the only one in town who didn't know. When the boy is kidnapped Miss Julia is on the run to save him.

This was a lot of fun and Miss Julia is a spirited southern belle. Often humorous with lots of action, I found the plot rather unbelievable but realize it is meant to be a bit over the top. I've read so many good reviews of this series that I think my expectations may have been a bit too high making this a good but not great read for me. I really enjoyed the characters, though, and am interested in reading the next book in the series. I often find these types of series get better after the first so I am optimistically looking forward to the next.

Comments

  1. I haad the same thing. I liked it, but all the raves... it wasn't that great. But, like you, I kept reading adn found the 2nd book very cute, and funny, if not any more plausible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will enjoy reading the rest of the series. Reading about Miss Julia put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts