39. The Night Tourist

The Night Tourist by Katherine Marsh


Pages: 232
Finished: Feb. 21, 2008
Reason for Reading: I found it on display at the library and was intrigued.
First Published: 2007
Genre: YA, fantasy
Rating: 4/5

First Sentence:

It was just after dusk when the accident happened.


Comments: Jack is hit by a car but fortunately he escapes with only a few cuts and bruises. However, something is not quite right and Jack finds that he sees and hears strange things. When on a trip to New York he meets a dead girl who takes him to the Underworld of New York. Here he decides to find his mother who died when he was little. The plot is based in Greek mythology and uses many elements of the Orpheus and Eurydice story. I really enjoyed this. The story line kept me guessing, I was never quite sure where it was going. The Underworld and the co-mingling of the dead with the living was very intriguing. I was also really taken with the ending, which is somewhat bittersweet but felt like the right ending. This is the author's first book and I'll certainly be watching for her next. Recommended.

Comments

  1. I like the cover of this one. That is a big thing to me. (I guess that makes me rather shallow!) I'm glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll add this one to my library list. My son is looking for something else to read for his AR. (He is almost through with Peter and the Starcatchers...and he needs some a little less hefty!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always attracted to a cool cover too, stephanie. And this one is all shiney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would go for that cover as well. Very eye-catching. And the book sounds good also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound good - I will definitely have to check it out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts