6. Beyond the Deepwoods

Beyond the Deepwoods by Paul Stewart
Illustrated by Chris Ridell
The Edge Chronicles, Book One


Pages: 284
Finished: Jan. 13, 2008
Reason for Reading: 1st in a series challenge
First Published: 1998
Genre: children, YA fantasy
Rating: 5/5

First Sentence:

Far far away, jutting out into the emptiness beyond, like the figurehead of a mighty stone ship, is the Edge.


Comments: Twig was abandoned at birth and left to be brought up by a family of woodtrolls. Twig now sets off on a journey to find something to fill the void he feels from not belonging, what he finds is the truth and his destiny. Wow, this book was amazing. My mind is just full of the amazing world created by the author. The Edge is a land inhabited by bizarre characters and creatures (both flora and fauna). Each chapter brings us a new creature and new characters such as a hoverworm, the Slaughterers, a banderbear, the Bloodoak, the Gyle Goblin colony and so much more. I just couldn't stop reading as I excitedly turned to the next chapter to see who and what Twig would meet next. I could kick myself for waiting so long to read this and am terribly anxious to read the next book in this nine book series.

Comments

  1. I picked this up not too long ago in a bookshop in Liverpool as the cover looked interesting. I had a quick flick through and liked the illustrations inside as well so bought a copy. I have yet to read it (lack of time last year and probably this year too sadly) but am definitely looking forward to it. It's great to see you gave it 5/5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. rhinoa, yes I agree, the illustrations are wonderful! I found myself turning back to illustrations all the time as I read. I hope you do get to the book sometime soon, it really is wonderful. Hopefully, I can get to the next in the series soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts