December - Books in the House

A new feature I'll do at the end of every month is a round-up of the books that arrived at my house during the month. This was a good month for new-to-me books. We start off with some free books.

I was the lucky winner of the scavenger hunt this month over at The Book Mine Set and received Inside by Kenneth J. Harvey directly from the publisher just a few days before Christmas. This sounds like it is going to be a really intense story. Can't wait to read it. Thanks John!

My other free books came from Bookmooch. Not really free when you think about it but they still feel free when they show up in your mailbox! A couple of Booker Prize winners that are on my list to read next year: The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje and Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner. I've also been dying to read John Irving lately so got The World According to Garp and A Prayer for Owen Meany.

It has been a few months since I've been book shopping at a thrift store so at the beginning of December I headed on over to my favourite thrift shop and found lots of goodies. I came home with a ton of wonderful children's books plus some others for a whopping price of $3.85. It would take way too much time to list every book I found but here are a few highlights.

Night Shift by Stephen King - I was thrilled to find this. In my chronological reading this will be coming up soon and I have been looking for it at the book stores and not finding it in stock but actually hoping I could find it at a used book store because I soooo wanted to have one with the same cover that I used to have. (Not the one shown at the link) The one with the hand that has the eyes all over it. And that is the one I found! So happy.

The best thing about this book haul is the following list of Noel Streatfeild books. I absolutely loved Ballet Shoes as a little girl. And these are all wonderful Puffin and Lions editions.
The Circus is Coming
Thursday's Child
Far To Go (sequel to Thursday's Child)
A Vicarage Family: A Biography of Myself
Ballet Shoes for Anna
Ballet Shoes

The Wind on the Moon by Eric Linklater and The Wool-pack by Cynthia Harnett, both Carnegie Medal winners

The Lost Prince by Frances Hodgson Burnett - this is the only children's book by her that I haven't read. Looking forward to it.


Magic for Marigold by L.M. Montgomery - This is one of the "Canadian Favourites" editions from the seventies. I'm collecting this series.

Old Peter's Russian Tales by Arthur Ransome - I am really looking forward to reading this to the 7yo next year. I love fairy tales and I love Arthur Ransome!


And finally a few days before Christmas, I stopped by my local library's sale table and filled up for the $5 a bag of children's books. This time I came away with some rather obscure books, at least according to LibraryThing. Authors include Vera & Bill Cleaver, Ronald Welch, Eileen Kernaghan, Ruth Manning-Sanders, and Monica Hughes. Plus the highlight of this haul was Arnold Lobel's illustrated Random House Book of Mother Goose, a lovely big book.


That's it for me. I didn't get any books for Christmas but, all in all, definitely a good month for books. If you'd like a detailed look at my new books just visit my library on LibraryThing and sort in order of entry date.

Comments

  1. That's a good idea, keeping track of new books.
    I have the one with the eyes on the fingers. Creepy story! One of King's finest collections I dare say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I've read it but I'm looking forward to re-reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you received your book and hope you had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John, we sure did! Hope you have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Ruth Manning-Sanders book did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, It is "A Book of Ghosts and Goblins". I used to love getting her books out of the library when I was a child. I loved the stories but I also loved Robin Jacques illustrations and covers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts