#121. The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
His Dark Materials: Book One


Pages: 368
Finished: Nov. 29, 2007
Reason for Reading: I've wanted to read this for ages and now that the movie is coming out I really wanted to get to it. It also was chosen for me in the GRTB thread on LibraryThing.
First Published: 1995
Genre: YA Fantasy
Award: Carnegie Medal
Rating: 3.5

First Sentence:

Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen.



Comments: Lower class children are disappearing and when Lyra finds that her friend is missing she wants to find him and get him back. Lyra becomes caught up in her new life but eventually realizes that all is not as it seems and those she trusts are involved with the disappearance of the children. Lyra goes on a quest which ultimately results in her following her destiny. I wanted to like this book much more than I did. Honestly, I wasn't even close to blown away. The story was slow to start. Lyra was the only fleshed-out main character and I wasn't fond of her at all. Boring is the word that comes to mind. The book also ends with a cliff-hanger which is a technique I really do not appreciate.

I'm not saying this was a bad book though. Once the the pace picked up, I did find the story interesting and parts did read quickly. I'm finding it difficult to write this review as nothing really stood out to me as being great. It was ok; and I will be reading the next book, and most likely the last.

Comments

  1. That's disappointing. Since the movie ads, I've been wanting to read it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet. So many people love them or hate them. One of these days.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts