Four-Legged Friends Reading Challenge

I've been thinking about this challenge for the last few days and I've finally decided to join.

Kailana is hosting this challenge in honour of her dog, Sandy, who recently passed.

Rules: read 3-5 books that have an animal as a main or important character
Sept. 20 to Feb. 26th

At first, I was thinking about the books I'm reading-aloud to my son as part of his curriculum. We use a literature-based curriculum and he is currently studying animals of the world. But I'm going to read those anyway and I thought it would be more fun to pick some different titles just for me.

The first book on my list is one I've been meaning to read for ages but keep never getting around to it. This is the perfect opportunity to finally get around to it and check it out from the library! For the rest of the books on my list I browsed my own bookshelves and came up with some I'm excited to read.

1. Into the Wild (first in the Warriors series) by Erin Hunter (this is the one I've wanted to read for ages!) Cats

2. Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel (this is another I've wanted to read for ages, it's also an award winner so it can count for the Book Awards challenge too) Bats

3. The Capture (first in the Guardians of Ga'Hoole) by Kathryn Lasky (I thrifted this book this summer and have been eyeing it ever since) Owls

4. Swamp Cat by Jim Kjelgaard (I'm a big fan of Kjelgaard and I haven't read this one) Cat

5. Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry (Also a big fan of Henry and I haven't read this one since I was a kid) Wild Burro

Kailana also asked us to mention our pets. Well, I'm afraid I'm not much of a pet person. I don't have any pets now and don't see it changing any time soon. I've had pets, several cats, during my life but don't really have any stories to tell.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm very much an animal person, but I prefer wild animals. There is nothing I enjoy more than going for a walk in the woods and observing the birds, rabbits, deer, etc. Sometimes I just sit out in my backyard, reading, and watching the birds at the bird feeder. Just recently we went to our local Botanical Gardens and they have a section called the "Nature Trail" which really is just a path going through a section of the forest. We went first thing in the morning and we had just entered this path when we saw a baby deer eating from a bush, and not too far away was the mother. We just stopped and watched them for ages. It was a perfect start to the day. One other thing my son and I do every morning is log on to the Africam every day after breakfast and watch the giraffes, wildebeests, monkeys, etc. at the watering hole.

Comments

  1. So glad you decided to join in Nicola, I will add you to the list in the morning.

    I don't live in Africa, but I have seen my fair share of wild animals. Just in my daily travels I have seen a bear on the side of the road with its baby, cougars (sadly it was dead...), coyotes, foxes, etc. And where I grew up we used to have deer come eat crab apples off our lawn all the time. Deer are staples around here, there are certain places that you can almost be guaranteed to see a deer during specific times of the year. You can also see moose around here, but I think I try too hard because I have never seen one :( Well, I have, but not in the wild. I like wild animals just as much as my pets. I would love to go on an African Safari sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has read the Warrior series at least three times!! She marks the calendar whenever she reads online that a new book is to be released. A few weeks ago I spent a fortune at Barnes and Noble because the new Warriors book and the new Silverwing book came out on the same day. It's a conspiracy ;)We are always on the look out for new books...she enjoys the animal genre so I will have to look into that Swamp Cat one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined this challenge too! In fact, I just put up my post about it! I figured why not? I'm already challenge overloaded, but in honor of Kelly's dog sounded like a good enough reason to join one more!!

    I've seen those Cat Warrior books at B&N. I've thought about buying them for my son (for Christmas) I bought him the first four in the Guardians of the Ga'Hoole series. I'm looking forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts