#48. The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Pages: 287
Finished: July 28, 2007
Reason for Reading: yahoo pulitzer book group read for July
First Published: 2006
Awards: 2007 Pulitzer Prize
Rating: 2/5

First Sentence:

When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him.


Recommend: Take it or leave it. It is not a bad book but I didn't really find it a good book either.

My main problem was I just didn't find it believable. McCarthy doesn't outright say what caused the end of the world and I didn't find his allusions to the cause to be believable. The cannabalism thing, I don't believe either. Maybe a few groups here and there, but practically everyone they meet? Finally, there were just too many times they were on the verge of starving to death and they were saved by a windfall of food and I thought the ending was just too much of a coincidence as well.

Comments

  1. I think that is interesting, Nicola. History has shown over and over that when regular food is unavailable, people have no problem resorting to cannibalism. I agree that the man and the boy were extraordinarily lucky to have found enough food (at critical times) that they didn't have to resort to that, but it's interesting to think that they might have had to eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Kookie. I still can't buy it, history (and current events) also shows us that many people die of starvation without resorting to cannibalism.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts