Gilead

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

pages: 247
finished: July 2, 2007
Awards: 2005 Pulitzer Prize, 2005 Melcher Award
Reason for Reading: July selection for the Pulitzer Yahoo Reading group
Rating: 4/5

first sentence:

I told you last night that I might be gone sometime, and you said, Where, and I said, To be with the Good Lord, and you said, Why, and I said, Because I'm old, and you said, I don't think you're old.


Recommend: Yes. This is book that satisfies your soul. It is a story with very little plot and not much really happens but it leaves you with a sense of fulfillment, a sense of contentment. Reading the book reminded me of sitting at the lake with feet dangling into the water and simply being.

Comments

  1. I saw a copy sitting on the shelf in the bookstore and picked it up to look at. I didn't purchase it though, deciding to first see what the buzz was about it. And here you are posting about it! :-) I'll have to add this one to my wishlist. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my absolute favorites. I rated it 5/5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not odd man out here; I hated this book. :) It may have been because I was on a road trip, so my reading time wasn't as concentrated as it usually is while at home, so the story dragged for me. Different strokes...right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts