Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.


I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mid-Year Favourites Jan-Jun 2014: Short Story Collections & Misc

Now that we are in the middle of the year I thought I'd gather together my favourites so far for the year from Jan to June 2014.  Since I read soooo many books I've divided them up into categories and am keeping track of them that way.  So far I've done 

Nonfiction (Adult/Juvenile)
Fiction (Adult/YA)
Juvenile Novels
Picture Books & Easy Readers

Today I finish off with my last category which is Short Story Collections.  I read one short story every day.  Sometimes a short story is not so short and it will take me two days and there are a few days here and there when life interrupts and I don't read a storyat all, but I am pretty consistent.  I've been doing this since 2009 off and on but it became a regular thing in 2011 and now it's just habit.

It's pretty much impossible to give a (5/5) to a collection of short stories because invariably there is going to be a dud or two amongst the gems of even the best collections.  I prefer to read books which collect stories by one author which I call "collections" as they give a sense of the author but it is always fun to read a collection of stories that share a theme, I call these "anthologies".

I've read 6 collections of short stories so far this year from Jan-Jun, 2014.  Four of them are collections of one author, the other two anthologies containing various authors based on a theme.  Since there are no full (5/5) rated books in this list.  I will give you my top two favourites which both achieved a (4/5).  These both happen to be collections of one particular author each.


Short Story Collections

1.Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock (4/5)
2. The Birds: and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier (4/5)



And that is it for my best of lists for this half of 2014. I do have two remaining "odd" categories left.

Single Short Stories - I only read one and I rated it very badly, so not a best.
Poetry - Again I only read one so it can hardly be the best of anything. But here's the link anyway
1. Flower Fairies of the Garden by Cicely Mary Barker (5/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment