A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.

I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Torn Away by Jennifer Brown

Torn Away by Jennifer Brown

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh my! Wow! Wow! This may well be the best book I've read this year! Written unpretentiously with emotion and realism, this is a book that grabs you by the heart and doesn't let go until the final sigh. I love this book so much I don't have much to say that isn't just plain gushing. My most telling comment can be to explain that for several pages just past the middle of the book, I *actually* wept! This is not something I do. I don't cry at movies and certainly not over books. I'm autistic, Asperger's to be precise, a logical person who can talk and explain emotions without expressing any emotion and make-believe just *does not* bring me to tears. Yet there was a point in "Torn Away" when a lump formed in my throat and tears welled up in my eyes and for several pages they streamed down my face. My highest praise. Bravo, Jennifer Brown. I will most certainly be taking a look at her other books.

ETA:  Just got the only two they have out of my local library.  Yeah!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment