Last year was the first time I set up goals for myself and while I didn't complete them all I did stay on track and have decided to continue the practice so I can make headway with long term goals in short spurts. So these are my goals for 2012:
This is not a goal but a pledge:
I will not start any new series this year, unless it is a 2012 release by an author I keep up to date with.
1) Last year I worked on reading all Shane Peacock's backlist while keeping up with his new releases. I only have two books from his backlist left to read (eta: after looking at these lat two rather large non-fiction books I've decided to call my reading of Peacock 'a fait au complet'). Then I'd like to complete Kenneth Oppel's backlist while keeping up with his new releases. I mostly just have Oppel's picturebooks and his latest novel to read, but there are and could be a couple more. This goal is very do-able I think.
2) Graphic Novel series. Previously I've set a year aside each for Fables and then Bone. This year rather than work on a new series I'd like to read like, say, Sandman, Girl Genius, or Tin-Tin, I'm going to work on finishing or catching up with the series that I already have on the go (which are quite a few). Plus for new single non-series titles I will be digging into First Second's backlist. They are one of my favourite graphic publishers and I've only read their stuff from the last few years.
3) In my personal project of Reading Around the World where I am reading books from all the provinces, states, and countries I made great strides with foreign countries in 2011 but failed to add one single Canadian province. So this year I'd like to finish the Canadian provinces, since I only have two left, Northwest Territories (I already have my book chosen) and PEI (I don't want the obvious LM Montgomery).
4) In my personal project of re/reading Stephen King's books in chronological order I'm happy with last year's progress. This year I'd like to at least read the next 2 which are The Dead Zone and Firestarter. My progress is listed in the sidebar on the right.
5) For the second year in a row my Newbery Challenge has been a flop. I've read only the new winner each year. So for 2012 I will once again try to read more than just the new winner! Even one more and I'll be ahead.
6) My personal Random Reading Bookshelf Challenge was another flop. Not only did I not read the whole shelf, nor did I read most, many, a lot or some. I read 6. A whole six! And out of those 6 I moved 2 out of the house. I had a ton of fun reading those 6 random books though and will continue on with the challenge and actually try to get somewhere with it this year!
7) I started two non-fiction chunksters in 2011: "Diary: Divine Mercy in My Soul by Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska" and "Catechism of the Catholic Church". Quite heavy reading in these tomes, though I'll say Saint Faustina's diary is easy going, though spiritually exhausting. The Catechism is something I expect to be reading my whole life, just like the Bible, so I'm in no hurry for this once through from beginning to end, but would like to make some decent headway this year. I am currently on page 61/756. I would like to set the "Diary" as my chunkster of the year to finish and will read at least a few pages each evening so that I can complete it by the end of 2012. It has 692 pages of small print.
8) And finally! This year I'm going to try and go with the flow. This is what is missing in my reading. If a book makes me want to read something else I will go down that rabbit trail and not let any of the above "goals" get in my way. Sometimes one book leads to another, leads to another, leads to another (whether they be by the same author, about the same topic, mentioned in the book, whatever) and it is fun to let yourself get carried down these trails and I've been writing the books down as tbr but not getting to them lately. So goal number 8 is to throw caution to the wind and give myself permission to chill and ignore the previous 7 goals if I 'wanna'! So there!