Little Henry to the Rescue by Eleanor Graham


Little Henry to the Rescue by Eleanor Graham. Illustrated by Ben D. Williams (Out of Print)

Pages: 27
Ages: 5+
Finished: May 18, 2011
First Published: 1945
Publisher: Whitman Tell-a-Tale Books
Genre: children, picture book
Rating: 4/5


First sentence:

In an out-of-the-way corner of the airport, Henry, the little helicopter, sat all by himself, feeling very sad.

Acquired: Purchased used at a book/garage sale or thrift shop.

Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud to me as his reader *and* I used to collect tell-a-tale books.

I gave up my collection of Whitman tell-a-tales when I moved across the country and this is currently the only one I own.  One I'd never read before.  Ds did a wonderful job reading the story and it wasn't exactly all that easy to read either.  This an adorable story with even more adorable illustrations of Henry the helicopter.  It seems a doctor has been stranded on a tiny deserted isle and needs rescuing so he can be taken to another island where some sick people need looking after.  Of course all the various other planes are approached first but deemed not suitable because the island is too small for a runway or not flat enough for a smaller craft to land.  Henry, who has always been teased by the larger planes and called "Bug" is finally able to show off his particular skills and earns everyone's respect when he saves the day.  A really cute story.  I just love the illustrations of the three men.  There is the lanky airport boss, the stiff army officer, and the roly poly businessman.  Cut and a fun story!  A keeper!

Comments

  1. I remember reading stories of this ilk when I would visit family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts