112. Early to Death, Early to Rise by Kim Harrison


Early to Death, Early to Rise by Kim Harrison (Canada) - (USA)
Madison Avery, Book 2

Pages: 228 pages
Ages: 13+
Finished: June 14, 2010
First Published: May 2010
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: YA, paranormal
Rating: 5/5

First sentence:

The car was hot from the sun, and I pulled my fingerprints from it as I slunk past.

Acquired: Received a review copy from Harper Collins Canada.

Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

A fabulous sequel to Once Dead, Twice Shy! An exciting story from beginning to end that had me glued to the book until I was finished. Once again Kim Harrison finished off with a nice, neat, satisfactory ending without the use of a cliffhanger, though leaving the loose threads and plot direction for the next and what may be the last book of a trilogy. All the characters from book one return so that even though we've had to wait a whole year for this book, their familiarity quickly comes back to mind and the author does give quick mentions throughout of events that happened in book one to refresh our memory without going into a rehash of book one except for a quick half-page prologue.

I really don't want to say a lot about the plot in the book as it carries on from book one taking the main character Madison Avery, who is dead, further along with the job she has been assigned and I don't want to give plot spoilers for either book. We get a greater insight into the workings behind the scenes and while this actually is an angel book where the angels come from heaven and god (with a little g) is once mentioned, the author has taken great liberty to create her own fictional vision of how death works and what part angels play in helping souls to reach heaven. Harrison's vision is fantastical (having nothing to do with Christianity) but does pose some seriously tough questions about free will.

The characters are wonderful. Madison grows into some of her powers and finds it's not all fun and games to be a supernatural being. Madison grows to connect closer and even bond with some of her supernatural friends, Barnabas the light angel and Nakita the dark angel and Grace the guardian angel. Madison's love interest Josh, is not an integral part of this story, but in the brief page time he gets at the beginning and end their relationship does take a step in the right direction.

Some very cool ideas at work in this sequel which not only entertained me but had me thinking and and seeing the point of view of both sides, the Dark and the Light. While, morally, I know where I stand, I can understand the various points of view. It will be very interesting to see how all threads and issues are resolved though I do have an idea as to a possible direction. A great series that I am really enjoying. Just wish I didn't have to wait a whole year for the next book!

Comments

Popular Posts