32. Bones of Faerie

Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner

Pages: 247
Finished: Feb. 10, 2009
First Published: Jan. 27, 2009
Genre: YA, fantasy
Rating: 5/5

Reason for Reading: Received a review copy from Random House Canada.

First sentence:


I had a sister once.

Comments: Set in a post-apocalyptic world, Liza's town is very secluded and doesn't welcome strangers. References are made about Before when there were such things as TV and airplanes but there has been a war; a war which involved our world and the world of the Faerie. These two worlds are somehow connected to each other and the war caused great destruction on both sides. Liza's town is opposed to magic and they are taught how bad magic is. They know no different as the trees reach out to kill them and they fight to stay alive. They also make sure no magic is brought into their village even when it is born there. New born babes who show tell tale signs of magic are left on a far away hill to perish.

Liza's sister is born with faerie hair and after her father takes the baby, her mother disappears and Liza soon discovers she is having visions and must go find her mother. A friend, Matthew, joins her and she soon discovers his secret as well. They have a lot to learn about themselves, the world around them and the War with the Faerie.

This was a beautifully written, page-turning and thought provoking story. I really, really enjoyed it. The post apocalypse/magic angle is unique and makes for an intriguing story. Liza is a spirited, strong female lead and the characters are well-developed given the short length of the novel. A refreshing read that fantasy fans are sure to enjoy!

Comments

  1. Thanks for reviewing this as I hadn't heard of it and it sounds like just my kind of book. I love the simple cover and the first sentence too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luck you! And a great review. I've want to read this one in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a book my daughter would love - thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How on earth did I miss this... Thanks for the review! I want to read it, now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With this ARC, you have started The overachiever level.

    I added the link to the ARC Challenge post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an interesting story! I'll have to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts