41. A Great Deliverance

A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George
First Lynley and Havers Mystery


Pages: 308
Finished: Feb. 24, 2008
Reason for Reading: First in a Series challenge. GRTB.
First Published: 1988
Genre: British mystery
Awards: Anthony Award, Agatha Award
Rating: 4/5

First Sentence:

It was a solecism of the very worst kind.


Comments: A very overweight 19-year-old is discovered in her family's barn along with her dead dog and her dead father who has been decapitated with an ax. Lynley is assigned to the case and he has been partnered with Havers as a last ditch effort for her to try detective work. This was an incredible mystery and brilliantly written. The story was oh-so-much more than just a mystery, it was also very much character driven. Both Lynley and Havers are very complex characters and their personal stories are a vital part of the book. I am much taken with Inspector Lynley, and Havers' character develops through the book with a revelation near the end. Very compelling reading! The mystery itself was well done and a page-turner for me. I stayed up late last night reading until I couldn't keep my eyes open any more, then woke up and finished the book in the morning. I have actually seen this episode of the TV Show, so I knew whodunit and why, but while that did spoil the shock value of the ending for me it did not interfere with my enjoyment of the book at all. Fortunately, I have only seen one other episode of the show (a more recent one, not based on a book) so that will not interfere with my reading of any other books. I am highly looking forward to reading the next one in the series. Recommended.

Comments

  1. This is one that I want to read. Glad to see that you really liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, you have a lot of good books ahead of you. I have enjoyed the series, but I find the books are very dense, and take me a long time to read. She only puts one out every two years or so. Lynley and Havers are fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your review. I always enjoy a good mystery and this one certainly sounds intriguing. More so, since I've never heard of the TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The TV Show is one of those British ones shown on Mystery! on PBS.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts