Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.


I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

#99. Kensuke's Kingdom

Kensuke's Kingdom by Michael Morpurgo


Pages: 164
Finished: Oct. 20, 2007
Reason for Reading: I've wanted to try one of Morpurgo's books for a while.
First Published: 1999
Genre: children, fiction
Awards: Red House Children's Book Award
Rating: 5/5


First Sentence:

I disappeared on the night before my twelfth birthday.


Comments: Michael's parents have decided to travel around the world by boat. Everything was going wonderfully until one fateful night when Michael is swept overboard. He ends up on a deserted island in the south pacific only to find that among the monkeys and orangutans there is another inhabitant, a Japanese man shipwrecked during WWII.

This is a wonderful book. The voice is that of a fictional memoir and the writing is vivid. Morpurgo has a way of drawing you in to experience the sights, the sounds, the smells. A beautiful, touching story with an unexpected ending. Highly recommended.

I will certainly be reading another by this author and if it is anywhere near as good as this one, I will have found another favourite author.

3 comments:

  1. What an interesting idea...
    I'm always looking for good books for my sons and my students to read. I'll see if the school library has this one.
    Just discovered your blog. I think the ideaof beginning reviews with the first sentence is a great idea. Do you mind if I follow suit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, frogdancer. Feel free, I'm sure I probably saw it done somewhere first too. I love looking back over the first sentences, it always brings the story back to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kensuke's Kingdom and it's the best book I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete