#53. The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Pages: 180
Finished: Aug. 9, 2007
Reason for Reading: I will be reading the next two books in the trilogy and wanted to re-read this first book.
First Published: 1993
Awards: Newbery Medal
Rating: 5/5

First Sentence:

It was almost December, and Jonas was beginning to be frightened.


Recommend: Highly recommended! This book was a re-read for me but I read it long enough (7-8 years) ago that I didn't quite remember all the details. This is a compelling story of a dystopian society. A quick yet thought-provoking read that should be on everyone's to-be-read list. This is definately a story that makes you think and will stay with me.

Comments

  1. This book is one of our Year 8 English texts. I didn't know there were more... though the ending begs for it, now that I think about it.
    Pity in a way. We had a lively class discussion about whether or not he dies in the end. Both interpretations can be justified, but if he pops up again in another book then that line of discussion goes out the window!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! Found you from goodreads... I just mooched this book because it's on so many must-read lists (but I keep forgetting that it's a series book, ohwell) and I just wanted to say hi!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts