13. Veniss Underground by Jeff VanderMeer

Veniss Underground by Jeff VanderMeer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Hauntingly horrific! Wow, just fantastic. This is VanderMeer's first novel and is set in a dystopian future where government has collapsed and bioengineering is the norm. With Quin being the dangerous man in charge of it all. It's also a story of love: between twins, lovers and the unrequited kind. Now that I've read most of VanderMeer's novels I can say that I know what to expect. He draws you in with superb writing of dysfunctional societies/worlds then he will spring upon you the horrific. His detail for the grotesque reminds me of Clive Barker; it makes you squirm. This book includes all the Veniss stories: the original novel, three short stories and a novella. The short stories are ok but the novella is brilliant, living up to the novel.


Comments

Popular Posts