Three Complete Novels (Psycho, Psycho II, and Psycho House) by Robert Bloch

Three Complete Novels (Psycho, Psycho II, and Psycho House) by Robert Bloch
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 503 pages
Published September 1st 1993 by Random House Value Publishing
Source: Local library


An omnibus edition of the Psycho trilogy.

1. Psycho (1959) - see my review under the individual title (3/5)

2. Psycho II (1982) - Well this was nothing like I had expected. Norman is barely even in it. It's classified as a horror but I'd hardly call it that, more like a mystery thriller. It was readable though hardly exciting. The ending was a twist and I didn't see it coming. Not bad, not great. (3/5)

3. Psycho House (1990) - This was the best book in the trilogy. Given it rides on the coattails of Psycho but it could have easily been written as a standalone without any mention of the connection. However, the book uses all the information from Psycho I and II to create a backstory. A writer comes to Fairvale to interview people for the true crime book she's writing about the Bates case. It was a quick compelling read. There are lots of murders but not gory (though I believe the movie is a typical slasher). Instead, it is a thinker with a lot of suspense. I enjoyed trying to figure out whodunnit and found the suspense writing to be superb. (4/5)



Comments

  1. Psycho House sounds good, I really loved Psycho when I read it a few years ago. I think I remember your review a little.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts