Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.


I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Three Complete Novels (Psycho, Psycho II, and Psycho House) by Robert Bloch

Three Complete Novels (Psycho, Psycho II, and Psycho House) by Robert Bloch
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 503 pages
Published September 1st 1993 by Random House Value Publishing
Source: Local library


An omnibus edition of the Psycho trilogy.

1. Psycho (1959) - see my review under the individual title (3/5)

2. Psycho II (1982) - Well this was nothing like I had expected. Norman is barely even in it. It's classified as a horror but I'd hardly call it that, more like a mystery thriller. It was readable though hardly exciting. The ending was a twist and I didn't see it coming. Not bad, not great. (3/5)

3. Psycho House (1990) - This was the best book in the trilogy. Given it rides on the coattails of Psycho but it could have easily been written as a standalone without any mention of the connection. However, the book uses all the information from Psycho I and II to create a backstory. A writer comes to Fairvale to interview people for the true crime book she's writing about the Bates case. It was a quick compelling read. There are lots of murders but not gory (though I believe the movie is a typical slasher). Instead, it is a thinker with a lot of suspense. I enjoyed trying to figure out whodunnit and found the suspense writing to be superb. (4/5)



1 comment:

  1. Psycho House sounds good, I really loved Psycho when I read it a few years ago. I think I remember your review a little.

    ReplyDelete