A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.

I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Friday, June 17, 2016

The Double Hook by Sheila Watson

The Double Hook by Sheila Watson; F.T. Flahiff (afterword)
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Paperback, 130 pages
Published 1969 by McClelland & Stewart
first published 1959
Source: purchased secondhand

This is the most incomprehensible book I've ever read. Short blurbs skipping all over about perhaps a dozen people in a rural setting. It never tells you what's happening, you have to infer it. I figure an old lady dies, perhaps her daughter and son killed her. The son runs away, beats up another man so bad he goes blind. The daughter sets the house on fire killing herself. Towards the end, we figure out a character called "the girl" is about to give birth. Now I'm going to read the "Afterword" and see if it tells me what this book was actually about. I can't stand books you have to study and interpret to understand them. One star since I managed to make it to the end. ETA - I'm none the wiser since reading the "Afterword" :-0


  1. Isn't it??? I read this years ago and I was completely baffled. lol

  2. Me too! (http://www.bookmineset.com/2014/09/readers-diary-1068-sheila-watson-double.html)

  3. It's a relief to see I'm in good company with this one. John, at lest you seemed to understand what she was going on about more than I did!