A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.

I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Monday, March 21, 2016

Movies/TV/Concerts Watched 2016

This is a running list for the year. The list will include the movie and indicate whether it is a re-watch otherwise, it can be assumed it was my first time watched. My family hardly watches any TV and unlike most families who are trying to cut down on television consumption, we've made a decision to try and watch more than the none we do now to engage the family in spending time together, giving us common interests to talk about and be entertained together. Good times, good fun.

Title (the year)(rewatch?)(owned/rental/library/borrowed/theatre/Netflixed)

and a brief review which could be just one word such as good, great, just OK, whatever. If I feel like expounding on the review I will. No rules here just a list with a bit of extra information. I will also probably note who I watched it with.

January: 0

February: 0

March: 6

1-3. Bates Motel Seasons 1-3 (2013-2015) (streamed) - I went to visit my son and we decided to binge watch something for the duration. Neither of us had heard anything about this show but are big fans of Psycho so watched a couple of episodes and were hooked. Season 1 really sets you up thinking Norman is nice and wondering just where they are going to go with this show. Then Season 2 goes all out freaky and we were sad to have the end of Season 3 come. Season 4 is currently showing on TV but I don't like watching live TV so will watch it come summer when I can binge watch the entire season.

4. Psycho - (1960) (rewatch) (streamed) - the last evening we watched the last 2 episodes of the above nd decided to rewatch "Psycho" since it had been years since either of us had watched it and we wanted to see what things we were not catching in the show and what we were not remembering, etc. This is a classic. I love the filmography and the camera work. Hitchcock is my favourite. Freddy Highmore is doing a wonderful job of capturing Anthony Perkins mannerisms while still making Norman Bates his own. Anyway, great movie.

5. Anger Management - (2003) (streamed) - the three of us sat down and watched this as a family. Dh likes Adam Sandler, he's hit and miss with me but I like Jack Nickolson. 15yo Ds complained about having to spend so much time watching TV with the parents.  Verdict? It was only just ok, a few funny bits but neither I nor dh thought it was particularly funny. Ds ended up engaging more than he had been willing too, so had a good time after all, but don't tell anyone I told you. (shhhhh) Not terrible, but wouldn't recommend it.

6. Shanghai Noon - (2000) (DVD owned) - I'm going through all our DVD's and getting rid of a bunch but will be watching some first. Dh and I sat down to this Kung-fu western and ds ended up joining us. Fun comedy. Would watch the sequel (s?).

April: 1

7. American Horror Story (Season 3: Coven) - (2013) (streamed) - My favourite season so far. Brings back lots of previous actors but adds a bunch of new ones. I loved the witch part best, the voodoo not so much. Loved that I got who all the historical references referred to!Zoe was my fav. character. This was Kathy Bates first season and she was awesome! Watched this by myself and loved it. Next comes Freakshow, the season I heard about that turned me onto this show in the first place.

May: 1

8. Climate Hustle - (2016) (Cineplex, Toronto) Fabulous documentary on the climate change co2 hoax which is really all about economics and wealth distribution.

June: 3

9. Sherlock Season 3 - (2014) (Netflix) - Continues to be an absolutely fantastic show. Ends with a cliffhanger so am hoping for a season 4.

10. Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - (2016) (Netflix) - A Christmas special episode which has Holmes and Watson in the 1890s. It's very different from other episodes. It's a comedy, parodying themselves and the novels, but midway things began to flip from the past to the present and it got pretty intense and funnier. So I ended up really enjoying it. It continues the cliffhanger from Season 3 but only advances the plot a tiny bit.

11. TINY: A Story About Living Small - (2013) (Netflix) - A documentary certainly not riveting but very interesting. I always want to go live in one of these when I see a show, photos, etc. about them.

July: 1

12. American Horror Story (Season 3: Freak Show) - (2014) (streamed) - My least favourite season. It was enjoyable and I watched 3 episodes at a time, but it just wasn't great. I did like that I knew most of the history of the real-life characters they portrayed. That's always one thing I love about this show.  This season I found a bit much for my tastes in that it was very sexually perverted. Not into that. Then it really wasn't very scary or gross. The clown stuff at the beginning was scary but after that nothing else. I liked the cameo bits from actors in the previous seasons (and I mean the ones not cast as major characters). I kept expecting a twist at the very end but it was pretty much a let down ending. So, ok, but not the best. My favourite season so far has been Coven, then Murder House second.

August: 5

13. Bates Motel Season 4 - (2016) (streamed) - This is the penultimate season which starts to catch up with the movie. I think they are going to redo the movie as part of the final season as I heard they had cast an actress to play Marian Crane. Anyway, this was an awesome season. Norman is totally a psychopath now, and I hate him so much. No more sympathy for him ever. The final two episodes I cried! The season finale made me bawl even though I knew what was happening. Can't wait for next season to start and be over so I can binge watch it!

14. The Lady in the Van - (2015) (Netflix) - Wow, I actually watched a movie! A quaint British film based on a true story with Maggie Smith portraying a homeless lady. Good, but not great.

15. Stranger Things Season 1 - (2016) (Netflix) - Wow, wow, wow!  Loved it!!! The first couple of episodes I wasn't getting into it, wondering what all the hype was but by Episode 4 I was hooked and binge watched the whole thing.

16. The Fall Season 2 - (2014) (Netflix) - I watched the first season last year and don't know why I waited so log to finish it. The second season was just as good and I absolutely loved Gillian Anderson's performance in this Irish television series. Season 3 will be airing in the UK this fall (2016). So hopefully next year we'll get it on Netflix.

17. River Season 1 - (2015) (Netflix) - A Netflix original British crime starring a Swedish detective. I loved it! Very dark, sombre and cerebral but I was hooked.The song "I Love to Love" by Tina Craig was featured a lot and I fell in love with it not having heard it before. This was only a six-episode miniseries so was easy to binge watch. I wish American TV would make more mini-series like back in the '80s, I just can't keep interested in these 6,7,8 etc seasons-long shows.

September: 4

18. Hinterland Season 1 - (2014) (Netflix) - I continue on my British crime spree. I liked this a lot, not love, but really liked. It is very dark and very cerebral, so slow at times but I loved the atmosphere. Was also really interesting to see how the police work in Wales as opposed to other UK countries.

19. Marcella Season 1 - (2016) (Netflix) - This is another British police show, a Netflix original. It was a little hard to get into but by the 3rd episode I was hooked. Watched 4 episodes the first day and the last 4 another day. Really looking forward to a 2nd season.

20. The Do-Over (2016) (Netflix) - Dh and I decided to have a movie night and since we both enjoy Adam Sandler, dh chose this one. OMG! This is probably the raunchiest movie we have ever seen. We were laughing our heads off one minute and almost throwing up at the perverted sex. We screamed "Ewww" as often as we laughed. It really crosses a lot of lines and includes male nudity (very gross at that). Anyway, we laughed and agreed it was about a three out of five.

21. Shetland Season 1 & 2 (2013, 2014) (Netflix) - Continuing on with my British crime kick, I chose this one next because of where it took place. I'm not really familiar with the ShetlandIslands except knowing they were part of Scotland. Anyway a very good serious crime drama with great actors and characters. The crimes aren't gross but they are interesting. Not a continuing arc but each two-part episode is a separate case based on the books by Anne Cleeve.


22. Shetland Season 3 (2016) (Netflix) - I enjoyed this a lot better than the first two seasons. Rather than being based on a book the entire season is one big drama and it's very intense.

23. Inspector Morse Series 1 (1987) (Netflix) - I've seen all these episodes but it's been a very long time since I watched the show. Each season is 3 movie-length episodes. I didn't remember who dunnit in any of these three and was thrilled to watch Morse from the beginning. I love how he drinks all the time and comes onto a woman in every episode! The whole thing is so eighties but great fun and holds up well.

24. Murder Maps Season 1 (2015) (Netflix) - Excellent British crime docu-drama focused on sensational crimes in Victorian Londoin. Four episodes and I'd only heard of one (Crippin). Excellent. Will be watching the next season soon!

25.  Inspector Morse Series 2 (1988) (Netflix) - This is really a trip down memory lane. I watched this with my parents when it first aired in Canada. I hated the first episode as it was terribly '80s and had some really bad acting from the lead woman but the others were great.

26. Murder Maps Season 2 (2016) (Netflix) - This was an excellent series. The last episode seems to have wrapped it up and I'll be surprised if there is another season. All the episodes are top-notch but this season the dates range from the 1920s to 1950s so I didn't enjoy it as much as the first seaaon since I loved the Victorian aspect. But still highly recommended.

27.  Inspector Morse Series 3 (1989) (Netflix) - With this season the show becomes more like what I remembered and the characters have grown. Lewis isn't such a teetotaller and Morse is less of a womanizer. Al great episodes. There are 4 movie-length episodes at this point.

28. Happy Valley Season 1 (2014) (Netflix) - A Netflix original and a brilliant British police serial. Set in my neck of the woods, Yorkshire and ocassionally Huddersfield, I found this rivetting. I'm extremely delighted with the main female lead who I recognized right away as Raquel from "Coronoation Street".


I add to this page all year but never update the feed so bookmark it if you are interested in following.


  1. I loved the book Psycho and honestly can't remember if I have watched it. I will have to check it out.

  2. I haven't read the book yet but I've read some of Bloch's short fiction and he is good! I'm looking for the book at home, I thought I had it !? But might have to grab it from the library now since I have everything swirling in my mind from the different versions. I'm hoping the book will be best (crossing fingers)