A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.

I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Chronological with Stephen King

(Re) Reading Stephen King in Chronological Order

Finally decided to give this personal challenge its own page! All my posts have been gathered into this one. 

I started this project in 2007, hit a snag for a few years, then since 2011 have started each year off with a Stephen King book.  Other than that this is a long-term project with no goals or objectives other than an "I hope to maybe accomplish "this" this year.

1.  Carrie (1974)
2.  'Salem's Lot (1975)

3.  Rage (1977) 
4. The Shining (1977) 
5. Night Shift (1978)


6. The Stand (1978)
7. The Long Walk (1979)

8. The Dead Zone (1979)
9. Firestarter (1980)

2013 - This year I will be starting 2013 off with a Richard Bachman book "Roadwork".  I am hoping to read the next 3 books this year since "Roadwork" is short, then comes "Danse Macabre", non-fiction, which I always read alongside a fiction book, and then "Cujo", another short book.  This shouldn't really be any problem.  If I haven't got to it by then I will slate "Cujo" as my Hallowe'en read in October.

Besides reading the books, I also go off on side trips to watch select movies (not all because some of the old ones are pretty dumb) and read graphic novels based on the books I'm reading.  This currently leaves me in the middle of reading "The Stand" graphic novels and I still have "The Stand" mini series to watch, plus I would now like to re-watch Christopher Walken's "Dead Zone" and I suppose I could line up the TV series now too.  I wonder if it would be too intense for my son.

10. Roadwork (1981)
11. Danse Macabre (1981)

2014 - This year I will be starting 2014 off with "Cujo", a very short book and not my usual January commitment to an epic tome.  Looking forward to it. If I can get a hold of the 1980 anthology "Dark Forces" where "The Mist" original appeared I will read it next, otherwise I will wait until it comes up in its slightly edited version later on in the short story collection "Skeleton Crew" Then comes the last Bachman book in my omnibus, "The Running Man".  I also loved this and am looking forward to this short read as well.

Next up is "The Gunslinger" and my dilemma about this which I've been thinking heavily about ever since I started this project.  I've only read the first three in this series and this time, I want to read the revised edition of the first book, so I'm going to go a little out of chrono. order here and what I've decided to do is read the first three Dark Tower books when I get to book 3 on the chronological order list.  Then I'll read the last three as they appear, which is one after another, further down the line.  Sooo, skipping Gunslinger at this point and moving right along to "Creepshow" the comic book and since these are all so short I should have no problem finishing up with the collection of novellas Different Seasons.  Hopefully, this will be a good year for knocking off some titles since they are all shorties!

Besides reading the books, I also want to go off on side trips to watch select movies (not all because some of the old ones are pretty dumb) and read graphic novels based on the books I've read.  This currently leaves me in the middle of reading "The Stand" graphic novels and I still have "The Stand" mini series to watch, plus I would now like to re-watch Christopher Walken's "Dead Zone" and I suppose I could line up the TV series now too. 2013's reading didn't add anything new here so hopefully I can get caught up with all this!  Because ... this year's reading will bring in a lot of extras in the movie department.

12. Cujo (1981)
13. The Mist (1981)
14. The Running Man (1982)
The Gunslinger (see below)
15. Creepshow (1982) (had a really hard time finding this)
16. Different Seasons (1982)

2015 - 2014 was an excellent year for me.  I accomplished everything I set out in my should-be-able-to list.  Everything was short so I added 5 more to the list and really none of them were true horror except Creepshow but then that's just a comic book.

So I'm excited to start 2015 off with a classic horror chunkster "Christine".  The next few books are all good old horror too and I'm just going to try to get to "Pet Cemetary" next as it's a shorter easy read and if I get that one done I should have no problem adding in the novella "Cycle of the Werewolf".  Not going to try and hit for it but if I did have a great year the next book up or the starter for next year would be his first collaboration with another author, his long time friend, Peter Straub: "The Talisman".

17. Christine (1983)
18. Cycle of the Werewolf (1983)
19. Pet Sematary (1983)

2016 - I accomplished my goals for last year. I'm a bit mad because I didn't check and "Eyes of the Dragon" is incorrect on this list but I've already read it so what can you do? So my goals are to read up to Skeleton Crew for sure which is a short story collection which means I can read it concurrently once I start Thinner. Talisman is huge and Thinner is short soooooo that means I may just be able to finish the year off with IT for my Hallowe'en read. It's one I've been looking forward to this whole time and I know I'll zoom through it even though it's humongous. It's a favorite!  So Skeleton Crew for sure, but IT for a bonus. But at least, IT will make a good start for next year if I don't get there.

20. The Eyes of the Dragon (1984) out of order should be 1987
21. The Talisman (1984) with Peter Straub
Thinner (1984) [by Richard Bachman]
Skeleton Crew (1985)
IT (1986)
The Gunslinger (1982)
The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three (1987)
Misery (1987)
The Tommyknockers (1987)
Nightmares in the Sky (1988)
The Dark Half (1989)
Four Past Midnight (1990)
The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands (1991)
Needful Things (1991)
Gerald’s Game (1992)
Dolores Claiborne (1992)
Nightmares & Dreamscapes (1993)
Insomnia (1994)
Rose Madder (1995)
The Green Mile (1996)
Desperation (1996)
The Regulators (1996) [by Richard Bachman]
The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass (1997)
Bag of Bones (1998)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (1999)
Hearts in Atlantis (1999)
Storm of the Century (1999)
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft (2000)
Dreamcatcher (2001)
Black House (2001) with Peter Straub
Everything’s Eventual (2001)
From a Buick 8 (2002)
The Dark Tower: Wolves of the Calla (2003)
The Dark Tower: Song of Susannah (2004)
The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower (2004)
Faithful (2004) with Stewart O’Nan
The Colorado Kid (2005)
Cell (2006)
Lisey’s Story (2006)
The Secretary of Dreams, Volume One (2006)
Blaze (2007) [by Richard Bachman]
Duma Key (2008)
Just After Sunset (2008)
Under the Dome (2009)
Blockade Billy (2010)
The Secretary of Dreams: Volume 2 (2010)
Full Dark, No Stars (2010)
American Vampire Vol. 1, graphic novel (2010)
The Talisman: Vol. 1: The Road of Trials, graphic novel (2010)
11/22/63 (2011)
The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole (2012)
Little Green God of Agony, webcomic (2012)
Road Rage: Throttle, graphic novel (2012)
Joyland (2013)
The Dark Man (2013)
Doctor Sleep (2013)
Mr. Mercedes (2014)
Revival (2014)
Finders Keepers (2015)
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams (2015)
End of Watch (2016)

1 comment:

  1. Holy smokes, wow, now that is a goal. I want to show this to my brother as Stephen King is his favourite, I wonder if he really has read them all.