Movies/DVDs/TV Seasons/Concerts Watched in 2015

This is a running list for the year. The list will include the movie and indicate whether it is a re-watch otherwise it can be assumed it was my first time watched. My family hardly watches any TV and unlike most families who are trying to cut down on television consumption, we've made a decision to try and watch more than the none we do now to engage the family in spending time together, giving us common interests to talk about and be entertained together. Good times, good fun. We'll also be having a game night.

Title (the year)(rewatch?)(owned/rental/library/borrowed/theatre/Netflixed)

and a brief review which could be just one word such as good, great, just OK, whatever. If I feel like expounding on the review I will. No rules here just a list with a bit of extra information. I will also probably note who I watched it with.

January: 1

1. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) (rewatch) (Netflix) - I saw this originally at the theatre but do not think I've ever seen it since.  Dh and I thought the 14yo would find this amusing and were right.  We had a grand old time with this.  It's a classic, lots of fun and more than once I said I'd like to get the soundtrack to this.  Yello must make so much money from "Oh Yeah" being in movies!  Loved that song when it came out and just as much now.

February: 6

2. The Pacific (2010) (Blu-ray) (watched with my dad in Calgary) - an HBO TV mini-series about the war against the Japanese in the pacific, especially follows the marines. Directed by Tom Hanks and Spielberg. Incredibly intense, violent and emotional. Not as good as Band of Brothers but similar and very close in quality.  Heavy, heavy material but makes some valid observations about war from a truth and reality perspective.  Highly recommended.

3. Striking Distance (1993) (DVD) (watched at my Dad's in Calgary with Dad, Karen and Michelle) We all really enjoyed this action/mystery of Bruce Willis. His typical action movie where he shoots stuff, blows a few things up, takes of his shirt and chases a girl.  But such fun and really fun for us all to watch an early '90s movie with the lightness added even though the story involves a serial killer and the general "cleanness" of the plot, language and innuendo compared to modern movies.  Not a Classic Willis movie but one that fans are sure to find amusing!  All four of us came away glad to have seen it.

4. Conviction; The Complete Series (2006) (DVD) (watched with Dad over a few days in Calgary & Edmonton) 13 episode spin-off from the Law & Order franchise, this features young DAs. Started off a little slow but by the time it ended we were invested in the characters and really enjoying the plots.  Too bad it got cancelled!

5. The Heat (2013) (Netflix) (Watched with Dad in Edmonton) My friends had told me this was hilarious so it ended up not being as funny as I thought it would be.  I liked it though.  A bit too vulgar at first but wither it tamed down or I just got used to it a bit later on.  Good. Worth the watch.

6. Law & Order: Trial by Jury: The Complete Series (2005) (DVD) (watched with Dad in Calgary) I'm so glad to have finally watched this.  We wre excited when it came out but ended up not watching it because of the sadness of the sudden death of Jerry Orbach (veteran Law & Order character). The show was very good and though it took a few episodes to get its stride it really wasn't given muh of a chance due to Orbach's death and subsequent low ratings.  The show gathered speed after his departure though and there are quite a few cameos of other L&O characters crossing paths, plus an entire SUV episode is included on the disc as it is a crossover episode that finishes on Trial by Jury.  loved all the new characters and am so pleased to have seen this.  A must watch for Law & Order officianados & completests.

7. The Maze Runner (2014) (Blu-Ray) (watched with Dad & Karen in Edmonton) I haven't read the book but knew the general plot.  have to say I found it a bit different than I had expected am now quite eager to read the series before any more movies come out, or at least till watching them.  I thought all the young actors were very good.

March: 1

8. Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn (2012) (Netflix) (the three of us watched)  15yo chose this even though he doesn't play the game.  Movies based on video games are in my opinion, pretty lame, and this didn't change that opinion.  But it was watchable.  None of us hated it or anything.

April: 1

9. The Real Amityville Horror (2005) (Netflix) A TV documentary. It was really cool actually. I'm fascianted with the Defaoe murders and this went over the whole Amityville house story exposing everything that really went on.  When I was a teenager Iwas into all the paranormal stuff and it was pretty cool to see Hans Holzer and Lorraine Warren interviewed.  I'm kind of ashamed to say, but I read every single one of their books way back when!  LOL.  Enjoyed this!

May: 0

June: 2

10. The Texas Killing Fields (2011) (Netflix) I'm familiar with the true story here and found the movie to be nothing like I had been expecting.  It was overly artsy, lacked breadth and fictionalized way too much.  Way disappointed!

11. An Unreal Dream: The Michael Morton Story (2013) (Netflix) An excellent docu-drama on the real story of an innocent man convicted of the murder of his wife and his life behind bars.  The Innocence project takes on the case and Michael sees justice done but at the expense of his family and the hey days of his life.  Loved it! Recommended.

July: 1

12. Your Worst Nightmare (2014) (Netflix) 6 episodes of an Investigative Discovery TV Show which I can find no information about at all.  Anyway this is the most intense re-enactment crime show I've seen.  I hadn't heard of any of the cases before and the show was terrific!  Loved it.

August: 1

13. Murder: No Apparent Motive (1984) (Youtube) A TV documentary which is outdated from an information and scientific aspect but is invaluable from an historical view.  At the time of this documentary "serial killer" was not a common phrase and they don't ever use it. The Green River Killer is active but unknown, Ted Bundy is in prison, appealing his conviction and maintains his innocence.  The meat comes from interviews with Ed Kemper, a vicious killer, who in personable and gives much insight into the sociopathic mind. On screen personalities include original FBI profiler Bob Ressler.  Amazing resource for those studying the field!

September: 2

14. The Iceman (2012) (Netflix) Based on a true story of a mafia hitman. Really good!

15. The Frozen Ground (2013) (Netflix) I really enjoyed this; John thought it was ok. Based on the true story of the capture of Robert Hansen, the serial killer in Alaska who took women to an island and hunted them down. It would have been better, and scarier, if they did more from Hansen's pov.

October: 1

16. American Horror Story: Season One, Murder House (2011) (Amazon Prime) I watched the entire season in a one day marathon and thought it was amazing!  Loved it soooooooo much!

November: 2

17: Terminator Genesys (2015) (Pay Per View) OK was fun watching Arnold and the blow ups and car chases. A bit funny but plot was a basic re-hash of T1 and kind of boring. Better off streaming it than paying to rent or watch at the theatre.

18:  Miranda: Season One (2009) (Streamed) This British sitcom is the funniest thing I've seen in like forever I'm hooked. Star Miranda Hart. Watched in Calgary with my sister and dad.

December:

19: American Horror Story: Season Two, Asylum (2012) (streamed) Totally awesome, I am addicted to this show!  I couldn't believe some of the stuff that happened. I was so hyped to watch ths since serial killers and mental asylums are two of my favourite topics. Granted the last episode was anti-climactic, I figured it would end that way by that time. Evan Peters is my favourite actor in this show so far. Season One was best so far but I'm ready for the next one!!!!

20: Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 3D (2015) (in the theatre) this was our annual Christmas Day movie. I don't really have a lot to say. It was Good with a capital "G" but nothing more. We were annoyed we only had the option of 3D as it was not worth the expense. The plot basically was a rehash of the first one: droid with a secret message, bad guys trying to get droid, good guys trying to deliver message. It was fun but not necessary Luke, Han and Leia are window dressing. And the ending was disappointing, just a set-up for the next one. I didn't know it was going to be a series. Oh well. I'll more than likely go see it  too. Next Christmas I guess. I was good, just, you know, nothing to write about.

21. Miranda: Season Two (2010) (Streamed) Introduced Andrew to the show when he was down for Christmas and he loved the first two shows. I watched the rest of it one evening after he left.  Hilarious show. I'm sad there's only one more season and two Christmas specials left.  Wah!  This is a must watch for Britcom fans!





Comments

Popular Posts