Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.


I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Cop Town by Karin Slaughter

Cop Town by Karin Slaughter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is Slaughter's first stand-alone novel and I have read all of her other books from the series. This is a difficult book for me to rate and review. It was a good story but so very different from her others and just not what I would expect from a "Karin Slaughter" thriller. In her "Acknowledgements" at the back of the book I think the author herself sums up what is different and unexpected to her fans about this book when she calls out to "Mo Hayder: I am sorry so few people die horribly in this one. Next time." Really that call out should have been to her entire fan-base. Slaughter is a good writer and this is a good cop story, technically a serial killer case, though with an execution-style M.O.; it's an entertaining case and wowed me with the reveal of the killer. I liked the characters and enjoyed the look back at the 1970s world of policing with the rampant sexism and racism. However, if Slaughter's name hadn't been on the book I doubt I would have read it; I'm not usually into police crime novels. I like the dark, gritty serial killer cases where "people die horribly" and that's what I expect from Slaughter. So I'm certainly acknowledging that this is a good, well-written story that I did enjoy and I won't deny the book its due but as a Slaughter fan I must say I am disappointed that she presented us with a book that is less stellar than her serial killer genre thrillers (namely all her other novels).



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment