Children Are Naughty by Vincent Cuvellier

Children Are Naughty by Vincent Cuvellier

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I adore the illustration of this book. It is just like something done in the 40s or 50s. The text is very droll and tongue-in-cheek so it is the art which brings out the humour and has you looking at all the details on each page. This is a translation of a French book and as such is probably cultural in its approach to humour. I can see it not being to the taste of all English readers. There is no moral or lesson here. We simply go through pages of various ways in which children misbehave themselves. All very realistic, but the illustration makes it funny as does the dry humour of the text. Finally, at the end, with tongue firmly planted in cheek we are told that parents, of course, were not naughty when *they* were children and to finish it off we conclude that the only good child is a sleeping one; then, of course, they are just lovely! I thought this was very fun and cute in a non-cute way, if you know what I mean. But I will warn that I can readily see some people not appreciating this type of humour at all.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular Posts