80. Bone: Quest for the Spark, Book Three by Tom Sniegoski.


Bone: Quest for the Spark, Book Three by Tom Sniegoski. Art by Jeff Smith
Quest for the Spark: Book Three

Rating: 4/5

(US) - (Canada)

Feb. 1 2013, Scholastic Canada, 288 pgs
Age: 8+

"The Nacht is growing stronger, and it's a race against time for Tom Elm and friends to find the final piece of the Spark before the entire Valley — and possibly the world — are plunged into eternal darkness. In this installment, the Queen of the Sky is brought down in the Pawa Mountains and our intrepid band of heroes is separated. What secrets can be found deep inside the mountains' caverns? Will the great mountain cat, Roque Ja, be ally or enemy? And will one of their very own betray them to evil?"

Page turning finish to this fantasy quest trilogy!  I thoroughly enjoyed the story, characters and plot with brief cameos from a couple of characters from the Bone comics for added fun.  Having been a year since reading book two I did find my memory hazy, as the book jumps right into the story with no triggers to get you oriented; but as I read, events started to fall into place and after a couple of chapters I was feeling quite at home again.  This is a great read that doesn't turn dark and has a slight sense of humour that continually lightens the story when the plot does get intense.  I didn't feel a lack of illustrations this time with the book either.  The others followed a one illustration per chapter rule and this does generally as well but either I've grown accustomed to it or the little trick they pulled worked.  You see it starts off with two illustrations per chapter for several chapters then it settles back into to the one-per routine and even skips illustrating very short chapters!  Worked for me though.  I loved Smith's art and Sniegoski pulled off a satisfying ending for all the characters involved.  This book does completely conclude the trilogy plot-wise, however the final paragraph of the book sets up the situation for a completely new plot.  From this I'm gathering the next book will be called something or other, Book One; starting a new trilogy.  I hope so, anyway, as I prefer trilogies over multi-book series.  Good show!  A fun middle grade fantasy quest trilogy.

Comments

  1. I am glad you liked this. I wasn't a HUGE fan of book 1 compared to the original series, but I should still check the other two out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello welcome to 2018 if you reply i will be happy

      Delete
  2. Everyone seems to rave about these books. I will have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. K. agree these books are not on par with the graphics but when not comparing them they are satisfying on their own.

    Julie, just don't expect them to be more of the same as regards the graphic novels and you should enjoy these further adventures of the Bone relatives.

    My son has gone back to read Book 1, so he can read the whole trilogy in order before finishing this final volume!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts