285. Anna's Red Sled by Patricia Quinlan


Anna's Red Sled by Patricia Quinlan. Art by Lindsay Grater.  (US) - (Canada) Out of Print

Pages: 32
Ages: 4+
Finished: Oct. 24, 2012
First Published: 1989
Publisher: Annick Press
Genre: picture book, winter, tobogganing
Rating: 3/5

First sentence: "I was helping my mom clean out our storage locker."

Publisher's Summary: none


Acquired: Borrowed a copy from my local library.

Reason for Reading: I needed a 'Q' author to complete the AtoZ Challenge so I went to the picture book section of the library and they had two books by "Q" authors I had never heard of.  I picked this one because it was by a Canadian author.

Not expecting much, with my less than lofty reasons for reading this book I tried to enter it with an open mind.  I was pleasantly surprised to find myself with an endearing children's book that is worth the library holding the thin shelf space needed to store it for over twenty years.  A delightful story of about an 8-year old girl who finds her old red sled in the storage locker.  She does not want to give it away.  That day while her mom is at the fundraiser she goes off across the street tobogganing on the baby sled she and her mom used when she was three.  She doesn't care when some other kids make fun of her.  She has a great time and she remembers back to that special time when she and her mom would go tobogganing almost everyday.  When both she and her mom come home Anna says something to her mom that reminds the mom of those days as well.  Then the two of them have their own special time together.  The illustrations are a bit, I don't know, 80's-ish, but not all that bad.  A nice, quaint, winter story.

Comments

Popular Posts