Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.


I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Monday, October 8, 2012

257. Judge Dredd: Cry of the Werewolf by John Wagner & Alan Grant


Judge Dredd: Cry of the Werewolf by John Wagner & Alan Grant. Art by Steve Dillon, et al  (US) - (Canada)
Judge Dredd Universe

Pages: 128
Ages: 16+
Finished: Sept. 21, 2012
First Published: 1983, 2001-2002, 2010 (Trade Edition Sept. 18, 2012)
Publisher: 2000AD
Genre: graphic novel, science fiction, post-apocalyptic, crime, cryptoids, paranormal
Rating: 4/5



First sentence: "Creep was walking around with a sawn-off stump gun."

Publisher's Summary: "Mega-City One – a vast urban nightmare built upon the post-apocalyptic ashes of North America’s east coast. Beneath her lies the ‘Undercity’ – ruined remains of what was once known as New York City. Now it is a deadly environment where only the most ruthless creatures can hope to survive. One such creature – a flesh-eating werewolf, has managed to find its’ way out into Mega-City One, so Judge Dredd must go down into the Undercity to investigate, ensuring that no others can make their way to the surface. Plus three other Dredd-verse werewolf stories."

Acquired: Received a Review Copy from Simon & Schuster Canada..

Reason for Reading: I love the Judge Dredd universe!

While the title may have you thinking differently, this book has no paranormal activity until the very last one-off story.  The book begins with the titular story from the '80s which is 7 parts long and almost half the book in length. "Werewolves" have found their way into Mega-City from the Undercity, their existence is based upon science, chemicals to be exact.  I loved this story, very well done and written by Wagner & Grant. The book is published in b/w up to this point.  Then we jump ahead to the 2000s for a direct sequel to this story.   From here the art in the book is full colour.  I also loved this sequel written by Wagner but I found the art very strange.  Even though the publisher's summary tells us 3 other werewolf stories are included, these two which make up half the book are the only true "werewolf" stories.

The rest of the book contains two somewhat thematically related one-offs.  First is a story set in the Cursed Earth which features bounty hunters who are mutants descended from Navajo spiritwalkers and are permanently in humanoid dog form.  This introduces (to me) a great female character named Quadrille, I hope she shows up again.  Finally, is "Asylum" which involves the Psi-Division and a paranormal creature, a vampire. This is the first time I've met up with Psi Judge Karyn but I liked her and I found the story creepy but unexpected when the theme is supposed to be werewolves.  A good collection of some of the stranger tales one can find within the Dredd universe.  I prefer the proper crime stuff myself but am not against the weirder storylines at all.  Good book for the Halloween season.

No comments:

Post a Comment