Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.


I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Monday, July 2, 2012

168. Yow! A "John Stanley Library" Grab-Bag

Yow! Drawn & Quarterly Presents A "John Stanley Library" Grab-Bag for Free Comic Book Day 2010 by John Stanley. Illustrated by John Stanley & Dan Gormley
Pages: unpaginated (regular comic book size)
Ages: 5+
Finished: Jun. 19, 2012
First Published: May 1, 2010
Publisher: Drawn & Quarterly
Genre: children, comic book, humour
Rating: 4/5


First sentence: Thanks for asking me to come over and eat some of your granny's cookies, Oona, but I just had dinner and I'm full up to here!


Publisher's Summary: 
  • Melvin Monster
  • Tubby
  • Nancy
  • Judy Junior
  • Choo Choo Charlie

Acquired: Received a free copy on Free Comic Book Day 2010

Reason for Reading: I loved Nancy and Sluggo comic books when I was a kid.

Seems the Nancy & Sluggo comic books were printed up until the mid-1960s but I was reading them in the 1970s and I remember loving them.  The only other characters I remember from this collection are Tubby and Melvin Monster.  What we have here is a sampler with six stories from various collections available in the John Stanley Library such as "Melvin Monster Volume Two".  I enjoyed this little comic and especially enjoyed the Nancy stories, enough that I would buy Volume 1.  The others not enough to buy them, though I would try Tubby and Melvin Monster from the library.  Included is "Nancy and Oona Goosepimple's Uncle Oaf", Tubby: Tub's Mustache, Judy Junior: Arts and Crafts (the only one I did not enjoy), Nancy: A Chase of Nerves, Melvin Monster: The Thing, Choo Choo Charlie: A Bad Case of Squeebles.  Tub's Mustache & A Chase of Nerves were my two favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment