147. The Lonely Existence of Asteroids and Comets by Mark Weakland

The Lonely Existence of Asteroids and Comets            

by Mark Weakland. Illustrated by Carlos Aon.

Graphic Library


Rating: None
Capstone Press
On a dark night as you watch the sky with your friends, a rock with a fiery tail shoots across the sky. A comet! Asteroids and comets hurtle through space, sometimes a
 little too close to Earth. But did you know that they are linked to life on this planet? From the asteroid Ceres to Halley’s comet, blast into space and enter the lonely existence of asteroids and comets.


Reading Level: 3-4
Interest Level: 3-9
GRL: P
Lexile Level: 890L
ATOS Level: 5.8
AR Points: 0.5
AR Quiz Number: 148590
Early Intervention Level: 25

ISBN: 9781429679879 / 1-4296-7987-5
Publisher: Capstone Press
Copyright: 2012
Language: English
Page Count: 32
Page Dimensions: 7 x 9
Binding: Paperback

Reading Notes:  I can't give this book a proper review because of my personal bias.  I am an Intelligent Design believing Christian and this book is full of the Big Bang theory and the theory of Evolution.  As a Catholic we are allowed to, and many do, believe in evolution as long as we believe that the Creator breathed the soul of life into man, at some point.  I won't get into my personal beliefs but I just found this book annoying with it's millions of billions of years ago and theories stated as facts.  Only once did they say "some" scientists believe.  And why discuss evolution in a book about asteroids and comets, is beyond me.  The author tries to make his connection but it was weak as far as I was concerned.  The above are my thoughts, not a review.  The book may be a highly valuable source from a Random Design point of view, I wouldn't know or care.

Comments

Popular Posts