Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.


I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Friday, March 2, 2012

War Through the Generations 2012: WWI ~ COMPLETED

**ETA:  Mar, 2, 2012.  Today I officially completed this challenge as I signed up to take a DIP, reading 3 related books.  Since the challenge runs for the rest of the year I will however continue to participate and see if I can make it to another level. 

I have found out from this challenge though that I naturally read books set during WWII and have had to actively seek out books from WWI.  I learnt a lot just from my 3 books and will have to make a point of adding more WWI reading to my natural selection of books as in reality I enjoy the social history of the time period more than that of WWII. **

I've always wanted to join this challenge since I really do read a lot of war books, both historical fiction and memoir plus the occassional biography/true story.  Sign-ups are here. World War I is the theme this year and I already have a book that qualifies on hold at the library so I'm going to officially sign up for the 1-3 books level but will, of course, try move up to higher levels by year end.  A movie or two is also allowed.  There is also going to be a group read along of A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. 

Here are the levels:

Dip: Read 1-3 books in any genre with WWI as a primary or secondary theme.
Wade: Read 4-10 books in any genre with WWI as a primary or secondary theme.
Swim: Read 11 or more books in any genre with WWI as a primary or secondary theme.

These are my books read:
Email links to reviews @ warthroughgenerations at gmail.com
Reviews listed here.

(possibles War Horse by Michael Morpurgo & movie, Dear Canada books)

1. Shot at Dawn: World War I, Allan McBride, France, 1917 by John Wilson
2. Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukranian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk, Spirit Lake, Quebec, 1914 by Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch
3. Brothers Far From Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates, Uxbridge, Ontario, 1916 by Jean Little
Dip Level Finished
4. Silver Threads by Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch
5. Lone Hawk: The Story of Air Ace Billy Bishop by John Lang
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

1 comment: