A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.

I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Human Body by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld

Human Body by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld (Canada) - (US)
Scholastic Science Readers, Level 1

Pages: 32
Ages: 5+
Finished: Jul. 6, 2011
First Published: 2000
Publisher: Scholastic
Genre: children, easy reader, non-fiction, anatomy
Rating: 4/5

First sentence:

Your body has many parts.

Acquired: Purchased a used copy at a garage sale.

Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud to me as his reader.

A basic introduction to the human body and anatomy, filled with fun facts and photographs.  Even though labeled a Level 1, it is a little harder than most readers at this level with its use of specialized vocabulary.  However when extra tricky words appear they are followed by phonetic pronunciation, ex. "oxygen (ok-suh-juhn)".  The photographs contain a wide variety of racial groups, both male and female, and are eye-catching.  A nice little book for its purposes.  The 2000 edition I read is out of print and a reprint (with new cover) was published in 2010.  I cannot vouch that it is still the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment