Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller and crime, fiction and non-fiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.



I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

127. Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection

Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection edited by Matt Dembicki (Canada) - (US)

Pages: 231
Ages: All Ages
Finished: May 25, 2011
First Published: June 1, 2010
Publisher: Fulcrum Books
Genre: Graphic Novel, Folktales, Legends, Short Stories
Rating: 5/5



First sentence:

When the Mother Earth was extremely young, things were not as they are now.

Acquired: Received a review copy from Fulcrum Books.

Reason for Reading:  This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I hadn't read it by the time judging was due as it was not a contender by that time and I'm just now getting to it.

I have to admit I was not exactly excited about reading this book.  Graphic anthologies have mostly been a miss for me in the past and though I love myths and legends, Native American tales are not exactly my favourite (tall tales don't do it for me either).  So it was with some trepidation I read the first story which I found entirely entertaining, as I did the next, and the next, and the next, and so forth.  The book contains a total of twenty-one tales and I only found one to be "ho-hum", the rest were funny and amusing with a few on the more serious side but still delightful.  The book itself is a gorgeous work of art with thick, glossy quality paper and a firm binding that will last repeated readings.  The artwork is wonderful.  Each story is illustrated by someone different and the various art styles create a gorgeous book to wander through.  The stories are suitable for all ages both in text and illustration.  There is no indication of intended audience and I recommend it for all ages.  Adults will certainly appreciate the stories on a higher level than children, but the book is easy reading for approximately grade five and up, with the stories being entirely acceptable to read aloud to much younger children.  A fine book, I'm glad to own!  Wish I hadn't taken so long to read it!