A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller and crime, fiction and non-fiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.

I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

102. The Lightning Thief Graphic Novel

The Lightning Thief Graphic Novel based on the novel by Rick Riordan. written by Robert Venditti. Art by Attila Futaki (Canada) - (US)
Percy Jackson & The Olympians Graphic Novel, 1

Pages: 128
Ages: 8+
Finished: Apr. 25, 2011
First Published: Oct. 12, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Genre: children, graphic novel, fantasy, Greek mythology
Rating: 3/5

First sentence:

Quiet down, class.

Acquired: Borrowed from my local library.

Reason for Reading: This was a Cybils '10 nominee and I've just now been able to get a copy to read.

This is a graphic adaptation of the novel of the same name and even though this is the first in the series I think it will be most enjoyed by those who have read the book. As a standalone, without knowledge of the book, the graphic novel isn't really that exciting of a story. It's been some years since I read the book and this is the only one in the series I've read, and I haven't seen the movie, so my mind wasn't fresh on the events but I do remember more happening that what happened in the graphic novel. For example, I specifically remembered a scene in the book with Medusa, which never occurred in this adaptation. It felt like explanations were missing and gaps were left in the flow of the story. I'm not that crazy with the artwork either; the faces have unnatural expressions. Overall, it's still the same story, so not a bad read, but I'm not overly impressed with this graphic adaptation.