91. Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool

Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool (Canada) - (US)

Pages: 351
Ages: 10+
Finished: Apr. 3, 2011
First Published: Oct. 12, 2010
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Genre: children, historical fiction
Rating: 5/5




First sentence:

The movement of the train rocked me like a lullaby.


Acquired: Borrowed a copy from my local library.

Reason for Reading: I am reading all the Newbery winners.

Simple perfection. When I see that Newbery sticker on a book, this is what I expect. A book that truly is a wonderful story that will appeal to kids. A story that catches your attention from the first chapter. One with characters who are interesting, unique and you either love from the start or they eventually win you over at some part. I truly enjoyed every minute of this book and was sad when it came time to close the book on Abilene, Jinx, Miss Sadie and all the rest of the characters in Manifest, Kansas.

Set in 1936, Abilene Tucker, who has grown up as a vagrant train rider with her father, is upset when he sends her to Manifest, a town he spent a spell in his youth to stay with a friend for the summer while he supposedly works a job, not appropriate for a young lady to be around, now that Abilene has turned twelve. Here Abilene makes two friends and finds a hidden cigar box with mementos and letters from 1918 under the floor boards. One is a map of Manifest, there is mention of a spy and the girls set about to find out who the spy was in their town back during WWI and if they are still here. They also come upon the legend of "The Rattler" who wanders the dark forest at night. Is the Rattler the spy, or someone/thing else?

As the girls read the letters we are transported back to 1918 on the war front in France as the letters are from a local boy to a friend named 'Jinx'. We also are taken back to 1918 on the home-front through Miss Sadie, a diviner, as she tells Abilene stories when she comes over to work her garden to repay a large pot she broke snooping about one night.

The story switches perspective between the present, 1936, through the first person narrative of Abilene and the past, 1918, through Miss Sadie's stories, a newspaper column and the letters. A rich engaging story that while not directly linked to any historical events does place one smack dab in the past and creates a good vision of living in a small town during the depression and during World War I, along with an impression of what it was like for a young soldier in the trench warfare of France. Topped off with a large cast of eccentric characters this is a gem of a story. This will be one of the rare modern Newbery's that I think will still be read decades down the road like perennial favourites "Caddie Woodlawn" and "Sounder".

Comments

  1. I need to see if I can put this one on hold at my local library. It looks good and I've seen several wonderful reviews of it. Glad you liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious about this book. I need to find time to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in this one and glad to see that it made it to the winner's circle for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this one, too,, but I think I like Newbery honor Turtle in Paradise a teensy bit better. I'm reading Heart if a Samurai now (another honor book from the same year), and I think I might like it best of all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of this year's honours. But sound like a good year if your liking them even more, Amy. Since this really was good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts