DNF: Dork Diaries: Tales froma Not-So-Fabulous Life by Rachel Renee Russell

Dork Diaries: Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life by Rachel Renee Russell (Canada) - (US)
Dork Diaries, Book 1

Pages: 55/282
Ages: 9+
Finished: DNF
First Published: Jun. 2, 20o9
Publisher: Aladdin
Genre: children, chic lit, girls, middle school
Rating: DNF


First sentence:



Sometimes I wonder if my mom is BRAIN DEAD.


Acquired: Received a review copy from Simon & Schuster US.

Reason for Reading: This book was nominated for a Graphic Novel Cybils Award '09, we received our review copies and then the book was switched to another category (middle grade I think). I ended up with my copy but no desire to read it until this time.

I didn't really expect this to be my sort of book but after watching the Wimpy Kid movie and loving it, I thought maybe this would be along the same lines except from a girl's point of view. Boy, was I wrong! We start with some dorky girl, smart, good at art and new at school, attending the private school because her dad got the tuition as a bonus for winning the contract as the school's pest control man. Nikki, that's her name writes about how much she wants to be a popular girl and what she can do to get in the club, then she talks about how mean and stupid the popular girls are all the while talking about her parents like they are the stupidest people on planet earth. I am not impressed, but as I carry on, a bit of a plot starts to develop and Nikki tries to sign up for the art contest but the popular girl's presence there removes her courage and she ends up signing up for Library Shelving Club instead. This is where I quit reading. I was in the Library Club I'll thank you to know and it was fun! but any way... I could imagine that she would make friends with the other two dorky people in the library club and somehow eventually get signed up for the art contest. She'll probably win and realise in the end that she has more friends than she thought and so who cares about the popular kids. Who wants to be friends with those mean stuck-up girls anyway. Being a Dork is fun! That's my imaginary plot as to how the rest of the book transpires, if I got it all wrong so what, I don't care for these kinds of teenagers who care about clothes, popularity, having the next coolest thing and are being rude to their parents.

Comments

Popular Posts