61. The Complete Idiot's Guide to The Catholic Catechism

The Complete Idiot's Guide to The Catholic Catechism by Mary DeTurris Poust with Theological Advisor David I. Fulton, STD, JCD (US) - (Canada)


Pages: 296 pages
Ages: 18+
Finished: Mar. 31, 2010
First Published: Mar. 4, 2008
Publisher: Alpha
Genre: non-fiction, religion
Rating: 5/5

First sentence:

In truth, reading the entire official Catechism from cover to cover would be monumental project.


Acquired: Bought and own a copy.

Reason for Reading: Personal edification.

Comments: After making sure the book had an Imprimatur (which declares the book free of doctrinal error) I was eager to read this book. I have been a convert for one year now and don't see myself reading the official Catechism from front to back anytime soon, though I do intend to tackle that project one day. I have also never purchased a "Complete Idiot's Guide" to anything before but the general good reviews convinced me to purchase the book.

The book follows the same order of the Catechism and has all the numbers referenced and actually quotes from at times. The book is written in an easy to understand layman's voice but that doesn't stop it from getting into some deep theological issues. I often read some parts over more than once to truly grasp the truth.

I feel like I have learned so much just by reading this book. I'm certainly much more informed, am able to answer non-Catholic's questions, have much more insight into the commandments, the apostle's creed and the Our Father. Many of my questions were answered and many things I wasn't quite sure what exactly the Church meant when it said something I would have big light bulb moments. I've also had some truths brought to my attention that I hadn't considered before and feel greatly rewarded for that alone. The book can be read quite quickly but I spent some time with it, reading a chapter at a time, taking it slowly. A fabulous book for details on the teachings of the Church.

Comments

Popular Posts