A Must Read YA Fantasy

Last year I had the pleasure of reading an amazing YA fantasy novel called Saye by Jeremy H. Walker. It was the best YA novel I read in 2008 and it made #6 on my Top Ten list last year. I couldn't understand why the blogging world was not raving about this truly unique book.

From email with him I learned Mr. Walker was having problems with the publishing industry, agents, etc. and he sadly had to take his book off the market as it was costing him money to sell it. I knew he was writing a second book and had earlier asked to be kept up to date on its publication. I received an email this Thursday from Mr. Walker with very exciting news!

I wanted to let you know that Saye is available in stores again. Once I took it off the market due to financial issues I received some letters from kids who read Saye. They told me they loved it and wanted to share it with their friends. After that I tried to find a way to put it back into stores and keep it there. Recently I found a direct way to Ingram catalogue which made the process so much easier. hopefully I can bring out the paperback copy and soon give you some information on the second book, which still needs a title.

Here's to a book that has actually grown fans thanks to the reviews!

Jeremy W.
(reprinted with permission)

Please read or re-read my original review of Saye which I wrote on Nov. 8, 2008. Then do yourself a favour and read this book.


Saye by Jeremy H. Walker
Saye, Book 1

Pages: 206
Finished: Nov. 7, 2008
First Published: 2007
Genre: YA, science fiction
Rating: 5/5
Reason for Reading: Received a Review Copy from the author.

First sentence:


In the Earth's night sky near the constellation Cepheus and by the brightest star to the east, there lies a number of planets.

Comments: On a desert planet inhabited by humanoid beings there has been a long war between the land beings and those of the five great lakes who are water beings living under the water. Once the war has been declared over and the water people believed to have been annihilated, along comes Saye. She is found by a member of the temple city and taken back there to be accepted into their protective fold; for it is obvious that Saye is a child of both races. However, the emperor of the land has vowed the war is not over until every one of the water people has been destroyed, including Saye.

What an absolutely delightful book! In just over two hundred pages Walker has managed to create a fully developed planet and two races of beings. The writing is beautiful and the narrative is almost like that of a fairy tale, weaving one under its spell. The main character is a strong female who is orphaned, alone and yet full of fighting spirit; not letting anyone take advantage of her.

The supporting characters are equally realistic and this book was a complete joy to read. I was swooped down into life on Valiku right from the opening page and became fascinated with the world and peoples Walker introduces us to. The book also contains illustrations by the author which are haunting pencil sketches that really add to the beauty of this story. Whether you call it fantasy or sci-fi, this is one of the best YA books of this genre I've read in the last couple of years. I haven't read any other reviews of this book on other blogs to date and I can't help but wonder why all the YA fantasy fans out there are not reading this book. Bring on Book 2 Mr. Walker! I am anxiously awaiting the continuation of this very unique story.

UPDATE: Nov. 25, 2008 - This book is no longer available online at amazon, etc or at bookstores. The author is having a hard time finding a literary agent or a more mainstream publisher. If you can help him out, just send an email to Jeremy. Believe me, this is a book series that deserves to be published and read! Good Luck Jeremy!

UPDATE: Aug. 20, 2009 - The book is back in print! Hooray!

Available at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, The Book Depository
(these links are free of associate referrals, meaning I get no compensation. I just want you to buy the book!)

Comments

Popular Posts