142. March of the Wooden Soldiers by Bill Willingham


March of the Wooden Soldiers by Bill Willingham
Fables, Volume 4

Pages: 231
Ages: 18+
Finished: Aug. 9, 2009
First Published: 2004
Genre: graphic novel
Rating: 5/5

First sentence:

I take it you've landed an audition tonight.



Reason for Reading: Next in the series. Last book needed to complete the Graphic Novel Challenge.

Comments: This whole volume deals with one complete story arc from beginning to end. I don't want to give away any plot points as it's too much fun to have it all unfold as you read it yourself so I'll stick with characters and the main theme. We start with a flashback of Little Boy Blue telling his last days and hours in the Homelands with Red Riding Hood. I love it every time time there is a flashback to the old days and I always get a little excited when I see one so this was a great way to start off the book. This flashback later on will prove to be relevant to the events of the main story.

The characters are all dealing with their lives and many are featured and given spotlights but this volume concentrates on Snow White, Boy Blue and Pinocchio, a character we've seen but haven't got know up to this point. Fabletown is under attack by a menacing force and it takes the combined forces of all the residents both of the town and the farm to come together and do battle with a possible unbeatable enemy. As usual, the stunning death of characters is to be expected and many new characters are introduced while on the final page we are left with several story arcs that remain hanging.

This is one of my favourite volumes to date. I really love how intricate the plot is with this series. There are so many story arcs going on within an often overarching main plot per volume that it really just sweeps you away as a reader. This volume has it all from romance to battles from familiar characters to introducing new ones and both touching moments and shocking moments. Volume four is a real winner in the series!





Follow me on Twitter!
Friend me on Facebook (say you read my blog)

Comments

  1. I love this series and recently read volumes 6 and 7. In 6 you find out who the Adversary is (don't worry I won't tell you!). I hope you stick with the series, it keeps getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you betcha I'm sticking with this series. This book gave me an idea of who the Adversary might be. I'll email you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series. I am all caught up, though, until the new one comes out. Then, later this year I plan to start the Jack of Fables series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts