139. Undone by Karin Slaughter


Undone by Karin Slaughter
Special Agent Will Trent, Book 3

Pages: 436
Ages: 18+
Finished: Aug. 4, 2009
First Published: Jul. 14, 2009
Genre: thriller, mystery
Rating: 5/5

First sentence:

They had been married forty years to the day and Judith still felt she didn't know everything about her husband.


Reason for Reading: Karin Slaughter had a new book out! I received a Review Copy from Random House Canada.

Comments: A victim of unspeakable torture is found on the highway as she is hit by a car. Convinced she must have escaped from somewhere close by Special Agent Will Trent relentlessly searches until a second, dead, victim is found. An all available manpower hunt continues looking for the crime scene when Will unearths a hidden cellar dugout in the forest floor, a horror room of unimaginable violence. Agent Will Trent and his partner Faith Mitchell plow ahead through local police territory looking for information to make this a case for the GBI. It is in the hospital that they first meet the attending ER physician, Dr. Sara Linton, who works on the first woman who was hit by the car. Soon enough, two more woman are reported missing and time is running out.

Karin Slaughter is back in top splendid form. This is an incredibly crafted novel. What an amazing crime, one of the most unique crimes I've ever read in a thriller. She combines a lot of typical serial killer elements with some very unusual aspects and themes that create a downright creepy case. Karin gives her fans everything they've come to expect from her: a gruesome intriguing crime, a difficult to solve mystery (I had my eye on the wrong person the whole way through!), a page-turner, read late into the night book that you wish you could just inhale. Splendid.

The only thing I didn't like is the direction the main characters' personal lives are taking. Reading the series in order, you find the personal lives of Will and Faith are a little soap opera going on in the background and I'm just not pleased with the direction each of them seems to be headed. Guess, I'll have to wait for the next book! Sara's character is nicely wrapped up from the dangling ending of her last appearance in Beyond Reach and I'm pleased with the author's resolution with this character although I'm rather annoyed with some of her Grant County opinions, which also leads me into my last statement. I still want more Grant County, Ms. Slaughter! I like Lena Adams (better than Sara to tell you the truth) and want to know what's happened with her and the rest of the folks at the Grant County Police Station.

Karin Slaughter is at her best with Undone. No fan is going to be disappointed with this one.

If you haven't read Karin Slaughter. Please do read her books in order. This one book is both a sequel to Will Trent Book 2, Fractured and Grant County Book 6, Beyond Reach. Plus Sara, introduced as a character in this book, was one of the major characters in all the Grant County books to date. Also both Will Trent and his boss Amanda (can't find the last name right now) both first made appearances in Grant County books before moving onto their own series. You will get much more enjoyment if you read her books in the order in which they were written.

Follow me on Twitter!
Friend me on Facebook (say you read my blog)

Comments

  1. I'm pleased to see another good review of this. I still need to read Fractured, but I'm looking forward to reading this soon afterward.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts