42. Rapunzel's Revenge

Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon & Dean Hale
Illustrated by Nathan Hale (no relation)

Pages: 144
Finished: Feb. 19, 2009
First Published: Aug. 5, 2008
Genre: graphic novel, fairy tale, children
Rating: 5/5

Reason for Reading: A few reasons actually. I've never read any of Shannon Hale's books but want to someday and this looked like a good way to get introduced to her storytelling. I was at the library one day and saw it, browsed through it and almost took it out but decided I had enough GNs at home already to read. Then the very next day Darla D. posted a review of it on her website, so it felt like kismet and if Darla says it's good I know I can trust her.

First sentence:

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful little girl.


Comments: This Graphic Novel is a retelling of the story of Rapunzel. Not much of the original fairy tale remains in this fabulous retelling of a pampered but lonely little girl who when she learns her Mother is not her real mother but an evil dictator is banished to eventually die in a huge towering tree with a hollowed out room at the top. Rapunzel uses her long hair as rope to eventually escape and meets up with Jack (of the Beanstalk fame) and together they set off to save their world. Rapunzel who was taught rope lassoing as a young girl by one of the guards at her palace now braids her hair and uses them as lasso weapons of destruction. She becomes almost like a superhero in this rollicking read.

I absolutely loved the Western meets Fairy Tale presentation. (reminds me of the Western/Sci-Fi of Firefly) Absolutely truly unique and original story which makes me yearn to read more of Hale's work. The artwork is absolutely flawless. Bright, colourful and detailed making one look into each frame as you read. I really have no complaints about this book at all. Though there was one tiny little thing that bothered me. Rapunzel is a feisty, strong female character which is fine and good and especially enjoyable, but Jack has been relegated to sidekick and his character is squeamish and frightens easily. I don't like it when the female character is made to look strong at the expense of showing a weak male character. Reverse discrimination is still discrimination. But really it just bugged me a tiny bit. Highly recommend this to anyone who loves graphic novels or fairy tale retellings.

Comments

  1. I have this on hold from the library. I probably should buy it because I own all of her other books, but I will see what I think and then decide if I want to buy it from there. People have it out at my library, though, so I have to wait and my status hasn't changed in quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about this author's books and they do seem neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read this one yet, but I really need to. I've enjoyed Hale's other works. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really looking forward to reading this. I love graphic novels and fairy tales so this will be perfect for me. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Shannon Hale's release party for this book and it was so much fun. They did a reading with wigs and everything. Shannon is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts