14. A Child's Garden of Verses


A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson
Illustrated with contemporary paintings and drawings

Pages: 121
Finished: Jan. 20, 2009
First Published: 1885
Genre: poetry
Rating: 3/5

Reason for Reading: Daily reading of poetry to the 8yo on school days.

First sentence:

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candlelight.


Comments: I have mixed opinions of this collection of poems. I read this aloud to my older son several years ago and he loved the poems, he even memorized several of them. He especially had fun memorizing My Shadow. I've just now finished reading it to my 8yo and have to say he was not impressed. We read a two-page spread every school day as part of our homeschool. Though the poems are written for children, they are written for Victorian children and the 8yo didn't understand half of the words used so we spent a lot of time discussing what each poem was really about and how it applied to things he would recognize in his life today. Sometime he'd think the poem was OK and he didn't dread me reading it but mostly he just thought they were boring. Myself, there are several of the popular poems that I think are wonderful: Bed in Summer, My Shadow, and Picture Books in Winter especially. Some others I'd rather do without.

This edition is particularly nice as it is profusely illustrated with sometimes several pictures per poem by contemporary children's book artists of the time such as Jessie Wilcox Smith and C.M. Burd along with a host of others. I just love the illustrations and could pull this book off the shelf and just browse through it for pure enjoyment. The 8yo though did not appreciate the old-fashioned pictures especially when he couldn't tell the boys from the girls. However, this is poetry I think every child should be exposed to, some will enjoy, others will not. For one, my son will forever remember the name "Robert Louis Stevenson".

Comments

  1. I had this when I was a kid and I memorized several of the poems too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts