Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.


I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Friday, October 17, 2008

164. Pedro's Journal

Pedro's Journal: A Voyage with Christopher Columbus August 3 1492-February 14, 1493 by Pam Conrad

Pages: 80
Finished: Oct. 15, 2008
First Published: 1991
Genre: children, historical fiction
Rating: 3.5/5
Reason for Reading: read aloud to my 8yo for school

First sentence:

The ship's roster of the Santa Maria has me down as Pedro de Alcedo, ship's
boy.

Comments: Told in a diary format this is the story of Columbus' first voyage to the New World told through the eyes of young ship's boy. It document's well the voyage in search of a route to Asia looking for spices and silk. This is the second time I've read this book aloud and it does make for a good read aloud experience. Conrad mixes fiction with fact to portray a boy of the times who sees things that are wonderful and other things that he finds shameful. The book is a little on the "bad Spaniards/poor Indians" point of view and Columbus' Christian purposes are not brought into play in this story much at all. That aside, it is done is a respectful tone and not over the top politically correct at all. It is a short book, well written and the perfect introduction to children of the life on the high seas during the era of the great explorers.

No comments:

Post a Comment