A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.

I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday: New Review Books in the Mail

Two new review copies arrived in the mail last week and I am extremely excited to read each of them. The first is a first-hand account of the Cultural Revolution (a special interest of mine) and the second is a serial killer thriller that sounds like it is going to be right up my alley.

So just to keep the tally going, last week I got 2 new arcs in and read 3 but have only reviewed 2 so far. Next one should be up today or tomorrow. That means my arc tbr pile is down 1 book!

I also received one more book in the mail last week and that was a Mooch. A bit of a beat-up paperback but it is the original unedited text which is what I'm looking for. No illustrations though.


  1. I've been seeing My Name is Number 4 around quite a bit lately and I look forward to your thoughts on it. The 7th Victim is a new-to-me author, so I'm curious about that one as well.

    Congrats on lowering that ARC pile! :)

  2. I've been interested in the Cultural Revolution (fact & fiction versions) for quite a while. Eager to hear what you think of My Name is Number 4.

    My favorite nonfiction is Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. It covers much more than the Cultural Revolution, and the background of 3 generations beginning with the war lord years in the early 20th c.

  3. joy - Adamson is a new to me author too but the book sounds just like the serial killer type of books I like.

    jenclair - I've had Wild Swans on my tbr list for a while, I'll have to try and push it up the list if I ever get this arc pile under control. I've read about the war lords too and early 20th century China history just interests me so much. A YA book I really enjoyed on the cultural rev. was "Red Scarf Girl".