122. Dolphin Freedom


Dolphin Freedom by Wayne Grover
Illustrated by Jim Fowler
Third (and last) of the Dolphin Trilogy


Pages: 107
Finished: July 7, 2008
First Published: 1999
Genre: children, animal, non-fiction
Rating: 3.5/5

Reason for Reading: next in the series. My dh read this to the 8yo. I read it once they were finished with it as we enjoy all being able to discuss a book.

First sentence:

The little white dog paddled furiously as she tried to keep up with the
large dolphin.


Comments: Wayne Grover and his friends once again are boating around off the coast of Florida when they realize their ever present dolphin pod is missing. They have a nasty run in with dolphin poachers but after telling the local police are told they can't do anything about it. Wayne decides he must rescue Baby and his family one way or the other and they get themselves into lots of troubles as they set out to rescue the dolphins from deplorable holding pens off a Bahamian island.

This third book in the series is quite different from the first two. For one it is longer and written at a higher reading level and secondly it is not the sweet, heart touching story of the others. This one involves lots of adventure, a fight in a Bahamian Bar and the men swim for their life as they are shot at. It is a well-written adventure story for children but I must say it was my least favourite of the series. On the other hand, I must tell that it was the 8yo's favourite of the series. He was on the edge of his seat with excitement during the final shoot-out getaway. This one is definitely a "boy" book!

Comments

  1. I've never heard of this series, but my daughter loves dolphins. I'm going to have to check it out. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!
    You are quite a reader!
    My nine year old daughter is the big reader around here!
    I always have a few books sitting around for months and can't seem to keep still enough to finish them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts