Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller, and crime, fiction and nonfiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.


I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

108. The Vows of Silence

The Vows of Silence by Susan Hill
Fourth Simon Serrailler Crime Novel

Pages: 328
Finished: June 16, 2008
First Published: June 17, 2008
Genre: Crime/Mystery
Rating: 4.5/5

Reason for Reading: Received a Review Copy from Random House Canada.

First sentence:

They had climbed for two hours.


Comments: Simon Serrailler is a Detective Chief Superintendent in a small town in England and a gunman is on the loose. He appears to be randomly shooting young women all over town and Serrailler is stumped. Simon's personal life is also in upheaval. A past flame has come to town, his father has a girlfriend and his sister's life is falling apart.

This is the first book in this series that I have read and wow! am I impressed. This is a detailed plot with many threads and a large cast of fabulously developed characters. As a first time reader of the series I was able to jump in easily and I really found Simon a fascinating character. The narrative expertly switches back and forth between characters and plot threads making this a fast-paced and exciting read. I love the way Hill made several characters appear to be possible suspects to the reader and my mind was in a whir trying to figure out who it really was before the final reveal. I really enjoyed this book, the side plots make it much more than just a murder mystery and it won't be long till I get myself the first three books in this series so I can catch up with Simon Serrailler.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a good series. Just what I need to find, another great mystery series. Thanks, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, Your welcome, I think :-) At least this series only has four books so far!

    ReplyDelete