Welcome

A Bookaholic, Pro-life, Pro-Family, Pro-Oxford Comma, Catholic (with Asperger's) who reads and writes as her obsession. I've been reading over 400 books a year lately. These are my ramblings on some of the books I read. To read about all the books I read and comment on, visit me at LibraryThing or Goodreads.

I've been blogging since 2007 and at this point (July 2015) am trying my hand at turning the theme of this blog towards mystery, thriller and crime, fiction and non-fiction. I have some special interest topics and categories within this broad genre which include (but are not limited to) serial killers, scandi-crime, Victorian history and historicals, history of the criminally insane and asylums, psychopathology, death, funerary practices and burial, corpses, true crime and anything dealing with the real life macabre, or that portrayed in fiction.

I also read a short story a day from various collections, sometimes anthologies othertimes collections of a single author's work. These reviews are also posted here and while they are of mixed genre the mystery, thriller, horror, gothic and macabre often appear within their pages as well.



I also blog about
graphic novels and manga on a separate BLOG.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Canadian Challenge Completed

This week I finished the Canadian Challenge. The goal was to read 13 books by Canadian authors or that take place in Canada. I did not make a starting list but rather chose books as I went along. This challenge came up just at the time I was personally committing to read more Canadian authors so it helped me to start off on the right foot. All of the authors I chose are either Canadian or have lived in Canada for a number of years. Most of the books I chose were fantasies so I didn't visit many provinces along the way. Even though I am finished this challenge my personal commitment to read more Canadian authors stands.

I enjoyed every single book I read for this challenge. Some were good, some great, and a few fantastic. I've found authors I will continue reading and I really enjoyed this challenge. Hopefully, there will be a Part 2 next year.

The books I read for the challenge and the province they take place in were:


1. The Tin Flute by Gabrielle Roy(Quebec)
2. The Alchemist's Dream by John Wilson(Arctic)
3. Elijah of Buxton by Cristopher Paul Curtis(Ontario)
4. Gemini Summer by Iain Lawrence (outside Canada)
5. Eye of the Crow by Shane Peacock (outside Canada)
6. Kanada by Eva Wiseman(outside Canada)
7. Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel(North America)
8. Dust by Arthur Slade(Saskatchewan)
9. Sunwing by Kenneth Oppel (outside Canada)
10. The Serpent's Egg by J. Fitzgerald McCurdy (Ottawa, Ontario)
11. High Spirits: A Collection of Ghost Stories by Robertson Davies (Ontario)
12. Empress of Asia by Adam Lewis Schroeder (BC)
13. Keturah & Lord Death the Martine Leavitt (outside Canada)